UMIST

G

Any opinion on doing a PhD at UMIST, how good is it's reputation

G

Which department?

UMIST is merging with Manchester Uni this October and Manchester Uni has a top class reputation. So i guess you needn't worry but i might know the department you are interested in.

Both UMIST and Manchester University have excellent reputations. Check the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) rating of the department you are applying to for a more specific rating. Most important of all is the quality of the individual research group you are joining.

G

Thanks for the reply I am joining the Bio-molecular department
any ideas on that dept rep?

G

It has an excellent reputation and they are building a swanky new building for it. You will have no worries there. I don't think you will be affected by the merger too much either. Good luck - hope you enjoy it.

The department of Biomolecular Sciences at UMIST received an RAE rating of 5 in the last two Research Assesment Exercises. This means it's about as good as it gets - only a 5* rating is better.

The department of Biomolecular Sciences at UMIST received an RAE rating of 5 in the last two Research Assesment Exercises. This means its up about as good as it gets - only a 5* rating is better.