Unemployment in engineering fields ?

T

most paying jobs for engineering streams are
1. petroleum engineering
2. chemical engineering
3. Computer engineering
4. Electrical engineering

but reading this http://www.engineeringdaily.net/third-quarter-engineering-unemployment-data-show-mixed-trends/
i see they have very high unemployment.

what is happening ?
are only some people getting in engineering getting all money. and number of jobs for fresh grads not there ?
and do these effect masters in engineering job also

M

Hi Tejasvi

I am an Engineer and have been somewhat active in IEEE. Now, in my opinion, you need to consider some things:

A. While IEEE has presence worldwide, it is quite understandably focused more on the US.
B. The news report is from 2009 when the US recession was very strong. If you want recent reports, you can join IEEE, subscribe to Spectrum etc. and you will get recent news on Engineers. Or simply keep checking the IEEE homepage. (or IET if you want more UK centric details)
C. Markets go up and down.
D. What is more important than generalized reports is your own skillset. How do you get to be more productive and valuable for a job than the rest of your class? Jobs are always there but why would an employer hire a person from amongst the 1000 others available? So, this is a different skillset from being an Engineer.
E. People who blindly make a decision on going for a degree/job tend to end up in trouble so I suggest you write down all the pros and cons and make an intelligent decision based on current data (news/market etc.). Do talk with people currently working the field and ask them what kind of skills are being asked for in jobs.

Cheers

T

ok i will join IEEE
but i have been seeing job requirements for electrical engineer cause i am that only. they have so many niche level demands that it is impossible to change job, they have all sort of and long list of technologys
while there are some skills that can be developed like communication but new engineering skills are difficult to develope.

M

Dear Tejsavi,

I hear you and it is definitely not easy out there. I am myself an EE, then I moved to Comp. Sc.. :p So, you basically need to find the right place for yourself, get the certifications/ ob experiences and even move when you get the feeling that the job is not improving your CV/resume.

Best of luck.

Cheers

T

hey one question why did you change your job fromm EE to CS ?
is that because EE doesnt have jobs and IT field is booming ?
or you didnt had work experience ?

T

hey one question why did you change your job fromm EE to CS ?
is that because EE doesnt have jobs and IT field is booming ?
or you didnt had work experience ?

M

Hi,

Actually I have never really been out of job/experience so I might be lucky. However, I moved because of intellectual reasons. The thing is, as an Engineer, you are used to designing/making stuff however the jobs that we find as an entry level Engineer are mostly not that way. As such, while paying well, I felt my EE jobs were not satisfying enough (not enough designing/developing). As such, CS/IT jobs are more satisfying as you always end up with a product and at least, for myself, that was quite important. It might be different for you so don't worry too much. However if you do move from one field to the other, remember it is not easy. It might take considerable time to be proficient enough to have marketable skills.

Cheers

T

hello,
I dont understand, how did the CS/IT company took you when you were an EE guy.
didnt they saw that you dont know any programming languages , or does experience matter more then skills ?
I am asking this because in future if i also want to change my stream of work like you sis then how hard it is !