Unsuccessful search of Ukrainian

Y

Hi all!
This is my storey.
Firstly I am Ukrainian.I am looking for PhD and my attempts are not really successful. I have been trying tofind PhD approximately for 5 months (mostly internet search).
My background is agricultural. I obtained Master’s degree in Agriculture and Rural Development at UCD,Ireland(results: more than 60 %) and MBA in Ukraine.I am really interested in two research directions:1)agricultural cooperatives (development, efficiency etc); 2)GMOs (awareness of people, economic evaluation of usage).
As for me to be progressive in on of these two directions it is necessary to do such research in UK/EU, where the researches are much ahead(in a compare with Ukrainian researches).As an example there are no agricultural cooperatives in Ukraine i.e. nobody wants to explore this field. The other interesting topic is not developed either. It is very sad but true. I can’t start PhD in Ukraine because of a lack of such research themes. On the other hand I can’t start such PhD in UK because of the lack of PhD programmes for international students (funding). Of course I could be wrong, but…
The help I am looking for contains advices (where to search, whom to send proposals etc).
Thanks in advance.

S

hi there,
for your second research interest, you could check out Martin Bauer's work and the BIOS centre at the LSE (www.lse.ac.uk/bios).
i know of one PhD student there who also has an agricultural background and is now doing a PhD on public opinion of GMO, supervised by said M.Bauer. don't know about funding though.

Y

Thanks Shani.
I’ll try the link you provided.

In addition I wanted to ask all participants of the forum: does anybody have successful experience in searching for PhD opportunity using the Internet. If so, could you please share some details?

M

The University of Reading is also very well known for research in Agriculture (some say it is the best in the UK) so it might be worth a shot.

O

There are loads of Universities doing research on agriculture, perhaps you just do a goole search on that; however, one institute came to my mind as they are really important http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk/

As they are not a unievrity they might have different funding oppurtunities.
And yes, I found my PhD over the internet.

Good luck

Y

Thanks OZ. I’ll try to follow your advice. And the most interesting and probably important thing for me is to hear from you that you’ve found PhD over the internet. This information is a kind of support for me. So I’ll continue my searching.

K

www.iamo.de

Try checking the vacant conditions in this web site...It also offers a Russian interface...I have just got an acceptance from there to pursue a PhD in ag. economics.