Unsure if i should continue

A

Hi guys,

I feel like giving up.
I am 8 months into my PhD. I came into the degree because I was very interested in my research topic. I don't want to get into academia after this and I see this as a personal challenge. I have been doubting my decision to start the PhD because I would really enjoy having a stable job and higher income.

I've been facing some hurdles recently with my writing. My supervisors think my academic writing needs a lot of work. English is somewhat my second language, but I never thought it was this bad. Coupled with the virus and just general poor mental health, I may be extra sensitive towards their comments. We have devised a plan on how to improve my writing. However, I'm losing faith in myself. I know PhD is tough and I will face worse criticisms. But the drive in me really diminished today.

Can I really improve on my writing skills so I can graduate?
If I don't intend to pursue a career in academia, is it really worth working towards a PhD?

Thank you guys in advance. :)

Quote From azsakura:
My supervisors think my academic writing needs a lot of work. English is somewhat my second language, but I never thought it was this bad

English is my first language and I got told my academic writing needs significant improvement! Academic writing is different to normal English and it takes significant practice regardless of how good your normal English is. I would not take it personally as most PhD students face the same issue and at least your supervisor is trying to help you.

M

Hi, sorry to hear how you are feeling. I can totally relate to many issues of your post. I have just started the second year of my phd and i too am thinking of stopping. I don’t want to go into academic life either and wanted to do the phd asa personal challenge. My phd is inter disciplinary which feels sometimes like im doing 2 phds and tbh I think i was a bit duped from the beginning regarding that.

I think the previous comment is correct in that there does seem to be a particular style to academic writing which im told comes with practice and reading lots of peer reviewed articles also helps.

Motivation is a big issue - so ive read and experienced.

Its a difficult decision to make , i still haven’t decided. But give yourself time and space to think before deciding. But whatever decision you make will be the right one. Good luck and best wishes.