Upgrade viva - aaahhh!

D

Ive got my upgrade soon and Im feeling so unconfident. Everyone keeps telling me how its a great opportunity to assess your progress and direction and make sure you are on track in the long-term. And that its just a formality. But so far my experience has already led to submitting my upgrade, having a meeting, having to re-write and re-submit. And now I have another meeting because there are still 'concerns'. I dont know what else they want from me. Any advice?!

S

Dont' panic! The idea of the transfer is to get rid of those that may not be capable of completing the PhD. I too had a lot of edits to do to my transfer report with a lot of this derived from supervisors with differing opinoins on a particular topic. By the end of the transfer review process I have gotten some writing that will provide a base for my final write up.

There is no denying a lot of it won't be used but during the next 12 months a lot of my talks and potential journals may well be based on a lot of what I have included in my transfer report.

S

I am also presuming that your transfer report included a literature review and a progress to date section. The lit review will be usefull throughout your PhD. I found the progress report bit usefull aswell in that it helped me write down and better realise what I had done so far and also helped in deciding the next stage in my reasearch.

Keep and hope this helps!!

D

Thanks Studentken. I cant say that it was a positive experience but thankfully I have 'passed' so to speak and can now progress. You are right the process has given me a firm basis for lit review and methodolgy sections so can expand on those and start getting things written up. And I suppose being ripped apart now will be good preparation for the real thing!
Thanks for your support