Very confused about MA/PGDip

D

Hi

I have 3 more months left of studying for my multimedia design degree. I definately want to do some kind of study afterwards. I am very much set on Fine Art MA. The Uni I have applied to do an MA and a PGDip. Does anyone know what a PGDip is, and what is its worth? It seems to me that it is more practical and aimed at people who didn't do the BA in Fine art. So perhaps that would be best for me. My next concern is that I am quite worried of not getting onto a post graduate course. I would happily do the PGDip but am just scared of not getting on as I am not ready for a job etc. Any adivce?

C

A PGDip 120 credits, 60 credits short of a Master of Art at 180 credits. That difference would typically be a dissertation, a large independent project, a large body of work or some other single 60 credit project. So, a PGDip and MA usually require you do complete the same amount of coursework and course work assessment, but the PGDip will stop at the end of the coursework, and the MA will progress to the final project. Both will be at the same Qualification Framework level (SCQF11 in Scotland, for example).

If you're unsure, contact the institutions in question and ask them!

Good luck.

C.miller