Viva Corrections

F

I passed my viva at the beginning of July and was asked to do major corrections. My supervisor at the time disagreed with a lot of them and said others were just minor. Having given myself the summer off to unwind with my family I got back to the corrections in September. Naturally it took sometime to get back into the swing off things, but I've stalled over the areas that my supervisor was not happy about. All though we discussed them and decided what I'd need to do to meet the examiners requirements I now strongly disagree with 75% of what I've been asked to correct/change/improve (?). I now completely resent having to do these corrections because I feel I justified why I did things in most aspects of the research and am now having to change things because that's how the examiner would have done it rather than what needs to be done.

In all honesty It makes me wonder why they say you've passed then give you a list of corrections? I suppose it's just another of the burning hoops they make you jump through! :-s

M

Hi Fredsmith,

First of all, congratulations on passing. Secondly, I have had a bit of a similar experience to yours where my supervisor did not agree with the corrections. In addition, the changes and comments were very harsh and I disagreed with them myself too. However, I realized at the end of the day that firstly supervisor's opinion *and my own* no longer mattered in the corrections and all that mattered is that I have passed and once I am done with the corrections, I shall never ever face my examiners again, in this way at least. Since it is only the examiner who can now approve the changes and somehow whatever I wrote, did not make sense to her, thus I rewrote it replying to her and the other examiner basically. I did not really follow what the examiners had asked for. I however added sections justifying my way of doing things. I also made a list of replies to each individual comment made by the examiners giving details of which section/chapter had been modified in what manner in response to their comments. So, at the end of the day, after going over my revised corrections for a week, the examiner asked me some more things (which I completed in around 2 hrs). ;)

And now, I am very relaxed. I hope you get it over with these corrections too. Best of luck(up)

Cheers

F

Thanks Mak.

Fred