Viva date before submission or after submission

D

How many people on here have managed to get a viva date before they've actually submitted or did you have to wait until after you had submitted?

S

I knew my date before I submitted just because the people attending were busy professors and so it took time to get an agreed date which they all could make, I don't know how typical this is though!

K

I had to wait until afterwards, though I heard the date pretty soon after that, and had to wait just under 3 months (but Xmas waas inbetwee). Getting the actual date only took about 10 days though

D

Thanks. I wasn't sure how it worked and so it can be either way!

D

I heard about my viva date 2 months after I had submitted and the viva date was 4 weeks later, so submission to viva was 3 months.

K

Hey! I knew my viva date before I submitted, but it had to be that way in my case with the viva so soon after submission! It's been the other way round for some of my mates in the same department so I guess it can go either way. Best, KB

S

I won't know mine until I submit. I'm at a very close deadline so they don't want to risk it and arrange it until all is in.

P

======= Date Modified 28 Aug 2011 11:29:51 =======
I had to wait for my viva date(s) after submission. But, my pre-viva journey is probably a complete outlier.....

- Submitted September 2010
- February 2011- Viva date- April 2011
- March 2011- 2 weeks before viva- viva cancelled
- May 2011- new viva date
- June 2011- viva took place- currently working on thesis corrections for PhD award

so a bit of a roller coaster for me (and also deeply upsetting and stressful!)

Depends on your examiners availability, holidays (ie summer, bank holidays, Christmas, easter etc etc) and to some extent problems with thesis (in my case an overly long thesis).

I think fellow PhD students in my department received their viva dates prior to submission. So lots of variability.