Viva: how long did you wait for it?

A

It's now over 3 months since I submitted my PhD, and I still haven't heard a single word about when my viva voce will be. Is anybody here in a similar situation?

I left a voicemail with my supervisor in mid November asking could he let me know by email or something if the viva would be before or after Christmas as then I could go away if it was after. He never contacted me so I don't really want to contact him again. Thanks.

PS: Did they give you much time between the date they told you, and the viva itself? I hope they don't contact me and ask me to come in the same week.

Z

This does sound a bit insane. I knew the date of my viva before i submitted, so that i could then work out my final submission date (as it needed to be 6 weeks before viva). Is there not a student administrator of head of postgrad person you could ask? I think that making you hang around not knowing is pretty poor practice.

L

======= Date Modified 03 Feb 2009 19:00:36 =======

Quote From Aodhán:

It's now over 3 months since I submitted my PhD, and I still haven't heard a single word about when my viva voce will be. Is anybody here in a similar situation?

I left a voicemail with my supervisor in mid November asking could he let me know by email or something if the viva would be before or after Christmas as then I could go away if it was after. He never contacted me so I don't really want to contact him again. Thanks.

PS: Did they give you much time between the date they told you, and the viva itself? I hope they don't contact me and ask me to come in the same week.

i also submitted in november, but that was because the uni forced me to, my supervisor didnt want me to submit and wanted me to work on my thesis for another 3 months. but it was either submit my thesis by nov 1st or fail by default for not submitting it. my sup told me i am going to have a VERY BRUTAL and horrible viva, because he said my thesis is not good and how i dont have a good understanding of my thesis and background theory and also outside the box, so told me to go off and study like crazy. he is right though, i couldnt answer any of his questions when i got back corrections for my final draft.

thus, i'm actually hoping my viva will be delayed for a few months, the more time i have the better! as ive forgotten almost everything. only in the past couple of weeks have i started revising.

but just incase they "spring" a viva on me soon. i've set myself a deadline of 27th of feb. about a month to revise everything and prepare. the reason i chose this date, is because its my bday on the 28th and me and my friends are going to spain for the weekend to celebrate.

but i'm avoiding my sup at the moment, for a month at least. and keeping a low profile so i can buy myself more time. i did contact my 2nd sup just before xmas and she told me they are so busy they havent had a chance to think who should be my examiners. so i said, that's great, as i need time to study.

and thats how i've left it. i wont contact them, until i feel confident and ready for my viva. which will be in a month or so. i'm in no hurry for my viva, as i want to study as much as i can before sitting for it.

i dont think they can give you less than 2 weeks short notice for a viva though. as you and your examiners have to decide on a date together. they give you several dates which you can choose from.

===
i am curious though, why do you not want to contact your supervisor again? if you really want to know when your viva is, the best option would be to go and see your supervisor, send him an email, or better yet drop into uni and just ask him.
BUT -IF you are like me, and the reason you dont want to ask is because you want more time to study, then i can understand that you dont want to "remind" him that he has to arrange examiners for you. so you're hoping to buy yourself more time.

but yah my advice would be, if you're really anxious about it. just email him again and ask him, whats happening. and in the meantime, carry on revising for your viva. and be on the alert, and prepare for the viva, as if it might happen in a months time or 2 weeks time.

S

I think you should speak to your supervisor directly - this does seem unreasonable. Our dept sometimes has a long wait - 4-5 months. I am concerned mysefl as I am planning two overseas trips this summer when I hope (in my dreams) to have my viva.:$

J

I am with Zelda on this one (ie I knew the month of when my viva would be) You should not be worried about contacting your supervisor, in fact phone and speak to them in person!

M

It could just be the case that they can't get one of the examiners to confirm a date.

It is just worth chasing up with your supervisor (who normally organises the viva).