Viva in 3 days! Not ready for it :-(

======= Date Modified 05 Dec 2010 20:24:50 =======
Sorry for creating another 'viva' thread that is full of anxiety and worry. But I thought I could do with your advice. I'll have my viva in 3 days time, but I did not get a chance to prepare for it (other serious commitments- lack of time etc.). Also I couldn't attend my mock viva last week due to transport problems caused by weather conditions (I live away from my uni). Supervisors have been busy to give me feedback and I will only have an hour with my first supervisor the day before the viva. So, what would be your recipe for an instant viva preparation? I know it's a vague question but any advice would be useful as I started to feel a bit lonely in this game.
:$

C

======= Date Modified 06 Dec 2010 09:31:26 =======
As long as you know your thesis well, it should be OK:

I have not had any discussions/meetings with my supervisors after thesis-submission (not like it would have been very helpful since they are not even remote to be the experts in my area of research anyway), I have not attended any mock viva, actually I have not spent much time on the viva and I am an oversea student, I still passed the viva without much difficulties.

So you should be fine, afterall you have spent years on your topic so you should have known well about your thesis and usually it should be you, not the examiners, be the more experienced one in your area of research, so take it easy and be confident, you can handle the examiners and their "amateurish" questions well.

B

Ok something you can do easily in the time you have is to think about your answers to 5 key questions: originality of my thesis, contribution to knowledge, methodology, weaknesses/gaps/mistakes, and what would I do differently if starting again.

Between them, if you sort that out, you'll cover a lot of the general viva questions you're likely to be asked. Oh and also be prepared to be ask why you chose this topic. It's a common ice-breaker.

Thank you so much for your advice. Really useful points. The more I read sections from my thesis, stranger it starts to look, as if someone else wrote it. But I will keep both of your advice in mind. Thanks a lot indeed.

T

I had mine on Thursday and to be honest I was really worried about it but it was a plesant experience. I wont lie and say that I really enjoyed it but I had built it up in my mind that it was going to be awful and quite frankly it was fine. I agree with the comments bilbobaggins made but would add that perhaps think about which is the most important chapter of your thesis - that was one question I was asked.

I didn't have a mock viva or have a lengthy discussion with anyone beforehand. I think if I had been through a mock viva or had a long discussion with my sups then it would have made me more anxious!

T

Oh and GOOD LUCK!

B

I didn't have a mock viva either. I think it would have terrified me! I only wanted to go through the process once, thank you very much :p

Thank you :-). Really good points. Tricky, that's a good thing to keep in mind; suddenly made me have a different critical opinion about the different sections of the thesis as opposed to a whole document. And now I feel a lot better for not going through a mock viva also.

S

First I wish you good luck. Since this was posted few days ago,it looks like you will have your viva on wed or thurs this week. We are both in the same situation, I  just felt real lack of interest in the viva prep and its only today that I am actually writing down some points for those 5 general q's everyone mentioned. It scares me so much that I have let myself down at the last hurdle. I thought of writing some things similar in the forum but could not. I cannot believe what happened to the energy I had when I wanted to submit (anyway...enough ranting)

Just prepare for those five questions and others will be about what you have done, or considered doing or rejected due to good reason. That should be all.(I guess). You know how hard you worked to get this far so YOU WILL be able to answer any question they throw at you. Think and answer. Update when you are done. I will too.

D

Good luck Sheena and 404! Let us know how you both get on with your vivas :-)

J

goodluck Sheena and 404 - what will be will be. no need to be nervous. :-) you'll be fine.

just show up. lol. (up)

Thank you guys. I had my viva today. Result is not so bad but not so good either. Purgatory of results I think. I've got pass with major changes; but I need to do those in 1 year, which feels too long considering I was hoping to say goodbye to my PhD today. Oh well, at least it's not fail; and I won't need to attend another viva. So hopefully I'll start seeing the bright side soon.

When is your viva Sheena? Best of luck to you...

D

Well done 404! You are on the final road to that PhD. Passing with major corrections without a second viva is a good result, I know that there may be some disappointment that there is still some work to be done. Take some time out to relax before tackling those corrections. Before you know it they will be done and you will be free!

J

congratulations 404! you have done well not to have to redo the viva. i know a few people who chose to defend and have major corrections but move on to academic jobs whilst they're at than be registered as a phd for financial reasons. its not all bad. look on the bright side of things. if you'd like to share, we'd like to know more about the viva, the kind of questions they asked etc.

don't beat yourself up. you've done well!

Thank you jojo and dunni. I have just seen your posts.