Viva in a week

Y

I have my viva in exactly a week from today. I'm starting to get a little nervous. I'm trying to take it slowly and go through my thesis. Only to find to my horror that during printing and assembling my thesis my computer must have had a hissy fit and lost a paragraph of my work. The paragraph is there on the electronic version, but somehow didn't make it onto the page that is in the bound up copy I handed in. What should I do? Tell my internal now, and explain what the missing lines are, to make sure they don't think I deliberately missed and made up a totally disjointed sentence? Or do I keep quiet, hope they don't notice but take a proper copy of the page that should be there in with me? Everything else I've found so far is only very minor typing errors. What should I do?

B

Put the paragraph on a printout along with your list of typos, and take that into the viva. I had a slightly similar problem, but a paragraph which sort of duplicated a previous one, and then contradicted it! I included that in my list of typos as something that needed to be fixed. The examiners were happy. I fixed it quickly ("DELETE!") afterwards.

Don't worry about your viva too much. You've reread your thesis which is the best preparation you can do. Getting nervous at this stage is understandable, but try to relax if you can, and rest, sleeping well is important.

I've posted some more tips in the other upcoming viva thread, if you want to check those out. But don't worry.

Good luck!