VIVA panic!

M

Hi. I got my ViVA in 2 days and keep finding errors! Just got a sense of doom! I am mainly finding gaps in the literature....has anyone experienced this? Wll externals penalize if they are not referenced where some relationship to their work could have been made? I avoided making tenuous links , but on reflection feel I may have missed an opportunity.n
Reading posts on here is helpful., but I can't believe how worried I am. Any help much appreciated.
Thank you

H

Hi Millymoo,

I have my viva a week on Friday so very much can empathise with your level of panic :) I am absolutely TERRIFIED! Really do not worry I have found A LOT of errors in my thesis. Instead of having a melt down I have just constructed a table, one column with the title "Description of error" and one column "Page number and line number". I know you only have two days but if you haven't done this you could start constructing a table maybe?

Secondly, in relation to your literature review, you will always have missed some literature. You just need to be able to justify why you included the sources you have and if something is mentioned that you haven't read or referenced, politely ask them for the bibliographical information and thank them for their guidance. That is all you can do. The only reading that you should do at this point if you haven't already is read your externals 3-4 most recent articles.

At this point in the game I would say just relax, be kind to yourself, sleep, eat well and breathe. If you feel like you still need to prepare I'd focus on practising speaking out loud regarding your motivation to do this research, your theoretical perspective (if applicable), your methodology & justification for approach, key findings, strengths and weaknesses and future research.

I am sure you'll be fine, all I keep saying to myself is that it is one day & worse things have happened at sea!

M

Thank you so much. Yes I have made a list of errors and researching my externals! I also agree worse things happen at sea :-) good luck with yours you sound on top of it. Thanks again for words of advice. Deep breath :-)

M

Even after you've passed your viva, you will continue to find gaps in your literature review.
More importantly, you have to cite your external examiners' papers as many as possible... This is the rule of the game.

M

Hi. It's the not having the externals in there. I am worried about. They would be tenuous links, but maybe I missed that one. Is it worth suggesting at the viva.? Thanks

H

Honestly at this stage just relax, you can only respond to what they put forward during the viva, no point second guessing. I know easier said than done :) Obviously if they mention something that you haven't put in just acknowledge that you have considered it, talk about how it is applicable in your context and then move forward to the next line of questioning. As all the viva prep book say, the majority of examiners actually want to pass students and if you and your supervisors have chosen wisely you should have nothing to be concerned about.

I think you should try and do something non-viva related this evening that you enjoy and that relaxes you.

Let us know how it all goes! Sending you lots of luck! Remember when they ask you a question just keep thinking define and defend!

All the best!

M

Thank you very much for wise words. Taking a deep breath and over to the universe now! Good luck too. Best wishes.

M

Hi Millymoo,

How many external examiners' papers have you cited?

M

None as links were distant. Thought would look too much like trying to make them fit. However, I could now make some link in my discussion, on reflection.

M

If the links are weak or distant, then your sup and you have not selected the 'right' external examiners.
That is, the external examiners may not be knowledgeable in your field.
So you are the only expert during the viva. :-)

T

Quote From MeaninginLife:
If the links are weak or distant, then your sup and you have not selected the 'right' external examiners.
That is, the external examiners may not be knowledgeable in your field.
So you are the only expert during the viva. :-)

I don't think it's necessarily true that the examiners are the wrong ones if you can't cite their work. I seriously doubt I will be able cite my future external's work, because I am not aware of anyone in the UK, apart from my supervisors, who are doing my sort of work so I can't imagine that anything will be directly relevant in order to cite it. I guess we shall see!

M

I agree with treeof life. My externals are subject relevant and methodology specific but have not directly researched my study topic as it has been under researched. Thanks yes I guess we will see .

D

Don't worry. I had not cited any of my external's work and still passed a few years ago. All the best Millymoo.

I

You'll pass Dr. Millymoo- I guarantee you! Normal jitters/fears just relax there's nothing wrong with your dissertation assuming your relationship with your supervisor is fine then you have nothing to worry about at this stage. Just prepare responses for the usual questions (why is your work significant, how does it contribute, why this theoretical framework, etc…) and you'll ace it.

W

I hope this worry turned out to be nothing to worry about and we get to learn soon that you are Dr Millymoo.:D