viva prep and mistakes in thesis!

J

Long time lurker here..

My viva is coming up in about 5 weeks. eekkkkkkk. Very worried about it!
I have read through the thesis and noticed a few formatting mistakes, typos etc. However, I am also working on reviewers comments from a paper I submitted for publication and one reviewer has asked how a certain result was calculated. I can now see that the figure is wrong!! Ok not such a big deal for the publication (it's unlikely to be accepted regardless of the typo/calculation error) but I am worried as the same mistake is in the thesis! Do I acknowledge it in the viva? Or do I hope that the examiners don't notice (it's written as 5% and ut should be 4%). ALready very worried about the viva as there are some holes in the thesis.

On the bright side I have just had another paper accepted for publication so this is a plus in my favour and my supervisor said the extern is happy enough with it .. but doesn't think it's the best thing they've ever read!
I have also done a considerable amount of extra work between submission and viva for another publication (but most of it didn't work out so publication unlikely to materialise!).

Also concerned as I have to do an hour long presentation in viva, which I haven't started yet as I'm just too busy with everything else. The more I read of thesis the more I realise I don't know or barely understand. Feeling a wierd mix of semi-relaxed about it and sheer terror.
Advice appreciated! Sorry for incoherent ramble :-)

P

I'm preparing fro mine which takes place this week. It's natural to fret given that your getting the PhD stands or falls with your examiners' verdict. This said, I'll suggest the following:
1) Take courage in the strength of your work (This should help you overcome your worries)
2) Understand the weakness and be ready to explain how you intend to deal with it
3) Make a list of all typos and factual errors e.g. calculations, etc. (Be prepared to hand these over to the examiners just before the viva takes off --except they ask you not to bother. It shows your awareness, rather than ignorance, of these errors and that you're not waiting for them to point them out to you).
4) For this waiting period, I'll personally spend more time preparing for the viva rather than on publication.
5) Finally, eat well, relax well (i.e. generally look after your health) and when you've put in your very best, take it that 'what will be will be'.

S

I remember being in the same boat as you 6 months ago, but then I realised I had forgotten half my references from the end of the thesis and had multiple typos in it and I felt like I hadn't written it! The thing is, and it was very hard to see at the time, was the vast majority was fine. It made sense, the calculations were correct (mainly!) and the POTENTIAL was there. Your examiners will no doubt see errors and ask you about them but I found mine to be very good and friendly about it and just push where my knowledge boundaries are. I asked a question back at them a couple of times and got the 'we don't know either, we just wondered if you did'. It will be fine.

J

Cheers guys! I just read a similar post by Sparkles and the relief was almost palpable! I'm just praying that my accepted paper blinds them to the fact that the rest is a bit crap ;-) And.. maybe they can't work out percentages.. there is always hope :-)