Viva prep / thesis-phobia

E

So, I submitted my thesis and was obsessed with prepping for my viva. Had to stop prepping and calm down as I didn't even have a date and due to current situations it was delayed.

Now I have a date, Oct 6th. I can't even think about it, I can't bare to pick up my thesis.

I have to go through family court again, very bad memories, and I'm representing myself
I haven't seen my dad since January because of Covid
I'm struggling to recruit smokers/vapers for the study I'm currently working on
I'm having to work from home with no childcare around school hours because of Covid
I have court related stuff on Oct 9th
In reality, my children are far more important than my viva

I need some help/wisdom/guidance/virtual kick up the you-know-what

I've come too far to fail now, I know I'm looking at major re-writes (minor at best, but that's wishful thinking) because I didn't have a supervisor read my thesis (no-ones fault, they didn't have time, I was running out of time - it's complete but I suspect in need of major changes).

Picking up my thesis feel like such a mammoth task right now. I start to do it and 10 mins later I'm reading up on family law.

Any advice is really appreciated
Thank you

Hi em89,

I am very sorry to hear what is happening. I know you were frustrated about your viva delay and to find that it is around the same time as your court hearing must be soul destroying. However, your children must be priority and I think you are doing the right thing focusing on them. I can't possibly fathom the stress you must be under with everything but bouncing between different things is not an efficient use of your time. If you want to reread your thesis, you need to commit to a realistic plan to do it in manageable chunks without worrying about everything else. Once you start reading it and "get in the zone" it will become easier, so don't feel bad about spending an hour reading as you are being more efficient. Do you have any family or friends who can help free up some time or could you delay the viva 2 weeks? Maybe say you have coronavirus? If not the viva will go better than you think, we are our own worst critics sometimes. Most reviewers or examiners do not pick up half the mistakes we see ourselves and in practice if you say something with confidence most people will believe you. Also, if you are expecting major rewrites, admit it at the start of the viva. If you say that something needs changed examiners are likely to agree and not be harsher than what you suggested.

I don't know what else to say except goodluck!

E

Quote From rewt:
Hi em89,

I am very sorry to hear what is happening. I know you were frustrated about your viva delay and to find that it is around the same time as your court hearing must be soul destroying. However, your children must be priority and I think you are doing the right thing focusing on them. I can't possibly fathom the stress you must be under with everything but bouncing between different things is not an efficient use of your time. If you want to reread your thesis, you need to commit to a realistic plan to do it in manageable chunks without worrying about everything else. Once you start reading it and "get in the zone" it will become easier, so don't feel bad about spending an hour reading as you are being more efficient. Do you have any family or friends who can help free up some time or could you delay the viva 2 weeks? Maybe say you have coronavirus? If not the viva will go better than you think, we are our own worst critics sometimes. Most reviewers or examiners do not pick up half the mistakes we see ourselves and in practice if you say something with confidence most people will believe you. Also, if you are expecting major rewrites, admit it at the start of the viva. If you say that something needs changed examiners are likely to agree and not be harsher than what you suggested.

I don't know what else to say except goodluck!

Thanks Rewt - breaking it down into chunks is really helping, and actually taking my mind off other stressors. I also had an email from my internal reminding me not to worry or stress over my viva as hopefully it would be a positive experience. She's been a fantastic, and honest, internal throughout so that brought some sense of relief. Thanks again