viva question

So, what happens in your viva if you get asked about something that you didn't include, but maybe have done.

E.g. my sup made me edit out a section which analysed and talked about what my participants thought of XYZ.

So in the viva, if they ask "what did your participants think of xyz" do I say "well, actually I did an analysis and.." or do I try and avoid this because I may be walking myself into a huge correction? i.e. to add that work in?

D

I can't really answer that but wouldn't think it would constitute a major (huge) correction. Have you kept the work you did? Give it some thought now as to why you didn't include it so you can answer, in the slight possibility you might be asked. However, unless you've left something very obviously out they'll probably concentrate on what is in your thesis.

D

You can look at it both ways really. If they bring it up and you don't let on that you have the data they may refer you to go back and conduct the work, ie major revisions. If you have done the work then you may have to include paragraphs about it but this may be considered as just minor! I would discuss it if this topic came up and probably discuss some of my findings, but I would also have a justification why I felt that it was not necessary to include. TBH a lot of PhD work will include huge amounts of research that have been done but only the relevant parts for the ultimate direction of the thesis will be included. Just be aware of what supporting data you have and your reasons for editing these areas. Chances are it probably won't come up ;-)

well the main reason I took it out was because it wasn't the main aim of my study, and also it made the chapter a bit long HA! So not really sure if that will work?

I did keep the work, yes. I guess I could print off the findings to have ready at the viva? and then they could just ask me to insert the page?

R

i would definitely tell them you have it done, then justify why it isnt there. you still have it, i'm sure, so it shouldnt be that much of a pain to get it in, considering that the bulk of the pain is now behind you. in any case, good luck in your viva...really hope you pass!!!

Main reason I took it out is cos sup didn't think it was relevant. I thought it was highly relevant. Now I'm worrying. Oh well. Can't do anything about it now. I'll print it off just in case