Vivid Viva Daymares, etc.

F

So I'm into the last nine months (give or take) and I'm therefore writing everything up in a way that is intended to be close to "final". Trouble is, looking at things as final reduces me to a state of nausea and paralysis! I know from reading this forum that this is fairly normal but I don't know how to cope with it on a day to day basis. I still have lots more work to do, but I keep freezing in terror and having daydreams about what the viva examiner will say about the chapter I'm currently working on.
It doesn't help that I've just decided I really need to include a new theorist whose work I looked at a while ago, but not in detail. I can't not mention this person's work, but at this stage I don't have time to go through all of it with a fine toothed comb. And my desired external is an expert on him! Argh! Why did I do it like this?!
I'm not sure how you fellow PGs can help with any of this.
I suppose what I really want is the answer to the million dollar question - how good does your thesis need to be to pass?!
:-(

T

I wish I could answer you Florence, I'd be keen to know that myself!

What I can say is that I went through a stage of paralysis at about 9 months. Once I started getting into the writing (ie, when I had less than six months to go!) I stopped "what-if-ing" and just focused on putting words to the page. I view everything as a draft even though I've only a few months left, I figure I can come back and revise it all once the basics are there. The thesis will never be perfect so don't let fear stop you from moving forward.

A

Hi Florence,

That is the million dollar question - you're right, and there is no answer!

In practical terms I'd suggest trying to bring your horizon a little closer. Try to focus on smaller specific milestones and it might distract you from the 'v' word. Let's face it, your main hurdle right now is to complete the thesis and get in submitted by the right date - focus on this, this is the known hurdle.

Easier said then done, I know from experience!

Good luck.

B

I, too, went through a state of paralysis, in my case about 8 months before submission. I couldn't see how I would get there, was totally terrified of what would come next. But I got through it, by - as the others have said - focusing on smaller goals. Once I got into the final stage of the writing it got easier. And I took things one step at a time.

And last week I submitted and now await my viva date. And I'm less scared by that prospect than I was 8 months ago! So it can be done.

Good luck.

F

Thank you so much for your responses. It sounds weird but I really have totally lost sight of what is actually needed at the moment, i.e. to read and write stuff down. After all, if I don't do that there won't be any viva to be scared of! Okay, just need to breathe and try my best. Right?!

A

Quote From Florence:

Thank you so much for your responses. It sounds weird but I really have totally lost sight of what is actually needed at the moment, i.e. to read and write stuff down. After all, if I don't do that there won't be any viva to be scared of! Okay, just need to breathe and try my best. Right?!

Yup, read and write and breathe and read and write and breathe........ after all, this is your challenge / hurdle at the moment. Plenty of time to worry about the next one later!