Waiting for submission is depressing me!

D

At the beginning of Feb I sent out my final draft to three sups (1 uni and 2 external). I had very quick feedback from one external who has been very proactive in my whole PhD journey. The comments were all minor and addressed within a week of sending it out. My uni sup had issues accessing it so we addressed this and he has let me know via email that he is ploughing through it but obviously he has other things that crop up. I appreciate the updates at least and hope to get some feedback soon. My other external was sent a prompt email (to check access was ok) and I was told that the reading hadn't started yet. I sent over the latest version with typos and one sups comments addressed and here I am still waiting. I appreciate the time needed to read it as I have proof-read it myself in this time (it is a tedious job lol). So now I am in limbo not knowing what to do really. I feel I should be doing something and have a few Qs to check for viva etc but my motivation has been lost. I though that I might have submitted by now.............how long do I wait before sending another email? I am distant from the uni and externals so cannot pop in, nor is my presence a reminder to them! They have all been supportive of me until now but the silence is arghhhhh! I appreciate reading takes time and they have other work commitments and families too. It has now been over 5 weeks.

Ok that's my rant over!

P

Hi Dunni, I'm absolutely shocked that they still haven't got back to you!

Personally, I would maybe email the second sup that has started reading, and see if they indend on finishing soon... but I would forget about the third sup that hasn't even started reading! At the end of the day, your sup that has been most enthusiastic (and thus probably know more about your work than the other two) has said it's fine. I don't think the other two sup would have anything SO major that is critical to your thesis.

If the 2nd sup is nearly at the end, then I might wait for their feedback, but otherwise, I would just submit the thesis.

Hope they get back to you VERY soon!

A

Hi Dunni

I don't wonder that you are feeling totally peeved by the whole thing. After the initial euphoria of producing a full, proper draft, it's fallen flat to a degree by the stall in proceedings.

Have you got a submission deadline that you could use to put pressure on this third 'non-reading' supervisor? If you could potentially be caught with fees etc, it would not be unreasonable to exert some pressure on him to read it before such a deadline. If you don't have a deadline, it's will be more difficult to get him to read it until he is good and ready!! Has you main supervisor anything to say on the matter, could he enquire if there's a problem? I think at this stage it might be better (and more effective) coming from him rather than you.

Frustrating for you - I sympathise but can offer little else constructive - sorry :-(

D

Thanks Ady and Pink Numbers!  I am feeling very deflated currently. Pink Numbers - I emailed yesterday and my uni sup is soon to feedback to me and it doesn't sound too bad, at least no major changes.  The consensus seems to be to go with easter submission regardless of the other external sups lack of feedback. It seems that as long as two sups and I are happy, we can go for it.  Obviously, this is far from ideal as I do respect what each sup can offer as they all have slightly different expertise. My thesis spans them all. 

I guess having three sups adds some fun and supposedly we are to manage them along with our PhD lol.  The three have been there for different reasons, obviously a uni sup, an external who is very proactive and participates in the lab research aswell and finally my other external who has facilitated my use of the lab/facilities (industry lab). It is the latter who is slower for feedback but who could have some valuable comments too.  I really do hope that he feeds back prior to easter. At least when I get the uni sups comments I can actually do something towards the end goal as I am just coasting currently.

M

======= Date Modified 09 Mar 2011 09:38:50 =======
Hi sorry to read that you are in such a position. I was in a similar situation not so long ago (cheek my recent postings) but by ignoring the non responsive supervisor and pushing hard with the cooperative supervisor I finally got his attention. My situation may not be exactly like yours but because I trusted the cooperative supervisor who happened to be the most experience (Though a co-supervisor). I would want to think that he spoke to the other guy. While awaiting the other's feedback, the cooperative guy had read and given two feed backs and follow ups. At last the other guy has decided to give his own input( that would be tomorrow if he actually gets to making useful contributions).

the waiting would be over soon

All the best