Want to do a PhD but haven't published/done any major research yet?

V

In your statement of purpose, how would you convey the fact that you are very motivated to do a PhD even though your previous research experience is minimal (in my case, only the Msc thesis)?

T

I hadn't done any major research either, just my BSc dissertation.. one of the purposes of a PhD is to learn about doing research and increase your skills.. so you can put down that one of the reseasons you want to do a PhD is to gain the skills and experience to enter the world of research.

Which subject are you working in Vic? In the social sciences/humanities the vast majority of people have not had anything published prior to starting a PhD.

A

Like the others say, a PhD is learning how to do research so you're not expected to know how to do it already.

I think it's useful if you can say why you like doing research. Break it down into specific things you enjoy eg being responsible for your own work, planning your own time, whatever is applicable to your discipline. and if you can link it to longer term i.e. career aims as well that will help show why you are motivated.

the grades you got for your project and refs from project supervisor will also be important.

V

XJR, I intend to do a PhD in Finance in the US. For that applicant pool there's plenty of competition from people who've already researched at post-msc level, so I guess I have to extra portray my motivation and love of the field.