Wanting to do a PhD but lacking the confidence

A

Hi all,

I completed a BSc in zoology in 2003, gaining a 2:2. I really enjoyed the research element to my degree and wanted to do a PhD soon after gradating but in the end I did not, instead I now lecture in animal management at a further education college (for the last 4 yrs, I am 26). I am quite prepared to give this up for a PhD and have given it a lot of thought.

I'd like to study for a PhD but what concerns me is a) my 2:2 and b) do I know enough? Would I be expected to know substantial amounts in my chosen field? What do those progressing immediately to PG from UG know?

Social insects are my passion but I wouldn’t call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination…I simply have a keen desire to study them further.

Should I study for an MSc by research first? But then part of a PhD is admittance to an MPhil initially. Is there a great difference between the two?

So yes, I'm a little lost

J

"I simply have a keen desire to study them further."

In my opinion that's the most importat factor. You can make up for disappointing grades, but you can't fake motivation (at least, not for long). You seem to have the right attitude.

I got a 2.2 (so did others on this forum; do a search and you'll see). Your experience and enthusiam should get you there. Not sure about your masters query: some did it and some didn't. Depends on the institution. I didn't have to, because my instituion accepted equivalant industrial experience.

The main difference is that an MPhil is research only, wherea an MSc is (usually) taught.

As you have a 2:2 you will probably need to get an MSc before applying for a PhD. Perhaps you could complete an MSc part-time while still teaching in further education? This would increase your knowledge of the area and put you in a much stronger position for applying for a funded PhD once you have completed the MSc.

B

Hi, I think you can do a PhD part time by learning contract at the University of Lincoln and I know they have people interested in entomology. You could always register part time on the MPhil, complete the first year and when you have got your confidence up enough to take the plunge, give up the job and go fulltime!

G

Try going to a Postgraduate open day or two, and chatting with the staff concerned (they kick-off about now). Might give you a better idea as to where you stand.

P

I'm also 26 and graduated in 2003 with a 2.2 psyhology degree.
a) I have a 2.2 degree and it hasn't stopped me from obtaining a PhD position which is relatively well funded.
b) I found that they are not expecting you to be an expert in the field of your PhD area. However, what really helped my application and during the interview process was to have relevant experience which directly related to the PhD area. They were very interested to see and hear about my research experience. I also made sure that I was familiar with some of my supervisors publications-just to show that I had an interest in the area.
c)Usually, PhD students start of as an MPhil student anyway and upgrade to a PhD (I've got mine in a few days and i'm seriously nervous about it!). I don't think there is much of a jump between MPhil and PhD candidates, apart from the duration of the course and the huge thesis at the end!

P

I did an MSc in Research Methods and this really helped my application. It also meant that I could obtain the +3 ESRC funding.