Wasted second postdoc

K

I feel that my second postdoc (in partnership with industry) comes to an end soon and I did not benefit from it and it has become such waste of already 2 years of my life. I have not get any results and have not published anything. I started application for my second postdocs in Jan 2013 and by the time I had it approved it was Jan 2014 which I technically started the postdoc and this is the date that all problems started. On the first day of postdoc,I met with industry partner and they told me that in addition to my proposal they would like me to help them in few of their other work as well. My university supervisor also agreed that I help them. But those short tasks eventually became routine with no real research work. Meanwhile my supervisor position at the university has also weakened and now she is only a sessional lecturer at my university (downgraded from associate prof) and she has lost the control of the labs to a second prof which is not interested in my work. The industry partner is not interested in my proposal either but they are okay for keeping me around just because. I feel that my uni supervisor also does not care as she has other positions in a different institute and I only have saw her once for few minutes in the last 6 months. I also learnt that the prof who took in charge of my prof lab has also mentioned that his ten students are priorities when it comes to use lab equipment and I shall get permission from him in advance to use the lab. He already denied me twice in using an equipment. Now I technically have a year left from my 2 years postdoc but I do not see anything comes out of as I have 2 years of work to be done in a year without having a proper lab, a supportive supervisor or anyone in industry partner to show any interest in my work. What should I do?

E

Any advice for KimWipes?

S

hi kimwipes I am sorry to hear that your post doc experience hasn't been going well. I haven't been in your situation before so I can't say for sure what to do, but since you still have one year left, I guess you would have try to make the best out of the situation. It can be challenging if others are not sympathetic to your work, you also need to use of the equipment. During my first degree, I was also denied the use of equipment, but that's the pecking order in lab, the phd students first, masters next and us last. I knew I couldn't use the thermocycler so I waited till weekends. I also stayed overnight in the lab if I had some culture.

I'm not saying you should do this, it is just an example of how desperate I was! Most importantly don't lose heart because you do have a year left. I am sure you will also have experience from doing industry work (apart from research) and you will be able to find a better research environment after this. But for now, don't give up.

love satchi

K

Thanks Satchi and Ellie. Since my last post, the situation has gotten more problematic. The supervisor is leaving the university for another job and the university has sent me a letter that they no longer consider extending my second year. The industry partner now wants to use another university or industrial labs for the rest of their contract but they have not found one yet in near areas. Good news is that I still get paid by the industry partner but if they want to use labs that are not nearby, then it is difficult for me to stay with them. They've already asked me twice if I wanted to relocate, my answer has been "most likely no". The problem is that I have a family; my husband has a job in our city and we have a kid and a mortgage to pay and cannot just relocate for the rest of 10 months of my contract with them. I am doing my best to stay afloat but who knows for how much more!

S

hi KimWipes
you know I think you'll probably find something else sooner than you know. I remember your previous posts, you have accomplished a lot in your academic career, in the past you had posted some messages on the Forum about wanting to win the Nobel prize etc, what I mean by mentioning this is that you have great qualifications, experience, I think people will definitely want you on their team, if you do say goodbye to these industry people.

love satchi

Hi Kim, I understand your feelings and why you wrote that title for your post. You have all my sympathy. However, I want yo reassure you - nothing is a waste. This project might have not worked out as you initially thought, but you have learned a lot along the way. This experience good or bad is going to stay with you, and as Satchi says, surely will lead to something else. So do not feel disheartened. It is disappointing, but not a waste. It is just a step towards something more rewarding down the line.