wasting the hours away...

X

oh, why does UTube have to be so tantalising? (anyone seen some of the PhD stuff on there?) I just can't seem to focus today?! Sat myself down this mornin at the ungodly hour of 8, with the greatest of intentions. I was going to read three books today (hehe)...then, thought I'd just quickly check my emails, and some funnies from the bandit comedians on UTube to get my in a good mood before I started...6 hours later I haven't done a lick of work! Anyone else messin about today, or am I the only skiver?

H

Hello. I have lost the will to work. I started at 8, did shed loads until lunch and now I just cannot be arsed.

S

I am not doing well. Perhaps I should put a timelock on my web connection.

E

I hear that! I too was intending to finally kick back into gear today, but it's just not happening! All of a sudden, tidying the flat has become the most exciting thing on the menu. How twisted is that?! I've spent all day surfin the web, making coffee (grand total of 8 cups), eating and blankly staring out the window under the pretension of brainstorming. I have learnt something today though...toffee crisps are the best choc bar around.

P

I agree about the toffee crisps! I am wasting time by sleeping too much during the day. I don't know if anyone else has got into irregular sleeping patterns but it always happens to me during the festive season. I end up staying up really late then lie in the next day and then cannot sleep at night. I have suffered with insomnia for a while though. The problem is when I'm tossing and turning at 4am I do feel tired so don't feel up to doing any work as I know I should make use of the time I am awake, whenever it is. I sometimes do some reading which is better than nothing I suppose.
If anyone has any tips on sleeping I would be grateful. At the moment I don't get started till way after lunchtime.

X

pawm, I have the same problem as you. I actually forced myself to get up at 8 this morning, which is probably why I haven't gotten anything done! Someone mentioned this in a thread some time back--have you noticed a time when you feel you are most productive? I find around 7pm, I start to feel more awake/alive. I'm useless in the mornings. It's impossible for me to sit and read for 6-7 hours solid, and when I do I feel absolutely dreadful (achy, irritable, exhausted, sick) for the rest of the day. I'd love to see a list of the most common health problems experienced by PhDers!

O

hahah, let me join the club. My excuse is jetlag and really really sore muscles in my wrists from lugging luggage.

I have managed to map out a strategy for work over the next few days, and have typed about 2 footnotes...but am current on the stock market, the news, my personal emails and film star trivia. I am trying to avoid Youtube!

L

It must be a trend today. I got up late, went into the office to check my email and chat with a friend over coffee for an hour. Decided to come home "to really get some work done"- meaning I ended up making lunch and baking cookies, then deciding today would be "the day" to learn how to start a fire from matches, paper and random wood in my fireplace. I succeeded at nothing today.

S

hmmmmmmmm, cookies

L

yes, cookies...mmmmm...perhaps that was the most productive thing today. Double chocolate chip...Too bad you all are so far away, I will just have to eat them myself!

A

I've found myself sleeping 'til 11/12 and watching Loose Women...

Surely that's as low as it gets...

S

Oh I used to watch Loose Women too. Daytime TV is the devil....

H

I'm working still. No weekeknd for me again.

O

I am locked out of the law building.

L

oh loose women, although I'll see your loose women and raise you Dickinson's Real Deal ...thats terrible