Wedding same year as finish PhD

L

My boyfriend and I would like to get married. The thing is we can't do it next year as no money and I'm worried doing it the year after would just be too stressful seeing as it's the year I'm due to finish. But at the same time we don't really want to wait 3 years. I wondered if anyone could give me advice on whether getting married the same year as completing would be a bad idea. Has anyone done this? My funding would run out in April so in theory I should be finished by then (but most people go over I know) and there would be waiting for the viva, doing the viva, doing corrections. We would go for late summer wedding. I would hate to get married knowing that I have my viva waiting for me when I get back from honeymoon! What would people advise? Wait another year or just go for it?!

S

Hi & congratulations on getting engaged I'm afraid I can't offer any wedding advice since I've not gone through that hoop - though there were a few threads about it recently. However, I would say that unless you are very organised and disciplined, you are likely to go over the end of your funding running out - I took another year (but I was not very organised and went off on random tangents with my analysis) - but most take an extra 3-6 months. You don't want to look frazzled for the wedding - so either use it as a goal to make sure you finish a few months beforehand, or delay the wedding... or bring it forwards to well before you submit. I guess it also depends on how big or expensive a wedding you'd like. If you want a big wedding then i guess you can't bring it forwards... a small intimate wedding that doesn't require so much money or organising might be able to be fit in earlier? (I'd go for the latter myself but it's a very personal thing)

H

Having just got married, I would say, don't go for having the wedding in your last year. If you are going to have a small one then it could be done earlier. Anything huge, wait till after the phd!

J

Yes, you could have a small do now and then a huge anniversary celebration after your PhD (or do the small legal ceremony now, but if you are religious, have the blessing after your PhD and make that a big celebration).

L

Thanks very much for your replies! Yes I think I'm going to have to face facts that it would be a bad idea! We are going to wait until the year after. Seems a shame to have to put things like that off for work stuff but I guess on the positive side I'll hava a year after PhD to enjoy the organizing, choosing dresses, hen night etc! If I did it the same year I can imagine being too stressed and busy for all that stuff!

C

I got married in the middle of my PhD having got engaged about 18 months before. Fortunately a lot was done in over a long time period in dribs and drabs and I have to say it would be far too much of a distraction now - largely as we didn't get married where we live -involving many 300 mile round trips to North Wales, weekends, weeks here and there sorting stuff out. I'm writing up now and I wouldn't have the time to do it, or the disruption. Best leave it until after now would be my advice.

R

Hi
I'm getting married in 9 days! and am coming towards the end of my second year. I have spent the last year planning the wedding in little bits (it's going to be abroad) and have really enjoyed having something nice to think about when the PhD isn't going so well. Having said that we are having a small and simple wedding and the last week or 2 at work i've struggled to conecentrate - so wouldn't recommend doing it all a year later. Why not bring it forwards and do it sooner?!

L

Congrats! Hope you have a great day! I would love to bring it forward but we just wouldn't be able to get the money together by then

H

Ooooh rah, shall I ask what everyone else asked me?

Are you feeling nervous?
How are the plans going?

I hope I get to see the pics

R

Thank you!

I am feeling more excited than nervous at the moment. I'm worrying a bit about things i have no control over -i.e. the weather! But generally ok I think. I just want to be cool and calm ( hehe i doubt it!)

You can of course see some photos when we get back - I'll work out how to do that!

littlemissworry; It's a shame you can't bring it forward - things can be done more cheaply than you might think - have a look at hitched.co.uk forums for great advice on planning etc.