Weight! How to lose weight gained during phd.

J

Hi all,

Has anyone gained weight during their phd and managed to lose it?

Ok.. it's been five years and my body would have changed but i have really gained a tummy which got worse during writing up and need to lose it asap.

Has anyone successfully lost weight around the stomach. What did you do? Did it work?

J.

S

hi jojo
I have a breathing-exercise tip about stomach; if you do a couple of these a number of times a day:

as you breathe in pull your tummy in; and keep your tummy in as you breathe out

It's supposed to help (in addition to regular exercise).
Personally I haven't tried it myself as I am quite skinny. My friend does this regularly; she says it keeps her awareness on her body so at the same time her body does not appear "sloppy". I don't know about her weight though.

love satchi

I lost 3 stone in my 1-2nd year, because I was getting married. I did that by eating about 800 kcals a day, being starving, headachey and making sure I did at least 50 mins of cardio a day.

Then I got married and as i walked out of my reception I just started eating lol. So I've put back on most of that weight.

I'm now trying to lose it again, but slower. I'm just trying to eat less sweets, less cheese (this is a real issue for me!) and exercise more.

P

I tried to lose weight during various points of the Phd. I've never been slim but I really started to notice an increase with all the sitting at a desk and stats snacking!

I initially tried to work in an hour of exercise in a day into my routine. I'd get up use my exercise bike for ~45mins and then fill the other 15 with something else. I tried not so much cutting down on the food but changing it. So I made lots of soup and so on, tried cutting out bread etc. I can't say it had a massive effect though. I felt more toned, I felt fitter but at best I was slightly less bloated. I lost some weight but it didn't take much to put it back on :(

Since I've moved away from Uni though I've been on a diet of sorts. My Dad and his partner are on the slimming world diet and because they're kindly putting me up I've joined in. And so far it's really worked. I've lost at least 2-3 inches off my waist! It took about a month and a half to really notice it though. It sort of crept up on me until I notice some shorts that I'd avoided wearing months ago because they pinched actually needed a new belt because they were falling down of their own accord!

If I ever get a job and move out I think it's something I'll carry on with. I've not been doing my previous exercise routine because the bike's in storage but I'd be interested to see what effect that'll have with the diet.

P

Hi

I have definitely put weight on over the last four years!! I managed to lose a few pounds prior to my wedding (nerves) but quickly put those back on again...

I'm waiting for the whole process to be over, as i'm sure once it is, i will be far more mobile, as opposed to sitting at the computer all day every day!!

Good luck!! x

J

thanks all... am considering a diet... but haven't got a job yet. so i can't properly fund one. i'm also considering going vegetarian for most of the week and seeing if it makes any difference. currently am on one main meal a day and drinking lots of water. before i just ate too much - stress maybe. i was nibbling all the time. i seem to be putting on weight... because clothes that once fell off are now tight. that said am trying to strike a balance between being a little girl and being an all rounded woman and proud of it. i have no problem with weight as long as it is evenly distributed. when it camps on my stomach.... it makes me feel really down.

i also try to work out but have not been able to keep up with this. i usually do two weeks and then give up.

any tips from disciplined people on how to juggle diet and stick to exercise?

J

thanks all... am considering a diet... but haven't got a job yet. so i can't properly fund one. i'm also considering going vegetarian for most of the week and seeing if it makes any difference. currently am on one main meal a day and drinking lots of water. before i just ate too much - stress maybe. i was nibbling all the time. i seem to be putting on weight... because clothes that once fell off are now tight. that said am trying to strike a balance between being a little girl and being an all rounded woman and proud of it. i have no problem with weight as long as it is evenly distributed. when it camps on my stomach.... it makes me feel really down.

i also try to work out but have not been able to keep up with this. i usually do two weeks and then give up.

any tips from disciplined people on how to juggle diet and stick to exercise?

J

wow Sneaks... that is so brave.... 3 stone! well done.....

so afraid of the headaches tho!

J

satchi - i've tried that........ interesting......... what is it supposed to do for me beyond awareness?

J

bread is such a hard sacrifice............. but it will have to go.......... off to have my last slice..........

you just hit the nail in the head there on bloating.... sometimes its not so much the weight, but the bloating just makes it all worse.

J

bread is such a hard sacrifice............. but it will have to go.......... off to have my last slice..........

you just hit the nail in the head there on bloating.... sometimes its not so much the weight, but the bloating just makes it all worse.

I've started a diet and exercise thing today, I'd love to lost a stone or more before xmas. I'm poor, so eating less will also help the bank balance.

If you want to tone your stomach, get one of the davina dvds - you won't be able to walk for a week, but if you keep it up you'll tone up your abs etc. BUT you have to diet too/lose weight otherwise you'll have a perfect 6 pack underneath a layer of flab (well in my case anyway, although I haven't got the 6 pack either!)

I've walked the dog for 30 mins, and going to go on treadmill after lunch at some point.

J

nice.. am so inspired. we can do this together Sneaks. am gonna be writing on here how much exercise am doing..... how i've changed my diet and any changes am seeing.... i'll start again this evening.

hope we can get rid of this phd fat together.

well done Sneaks (up)

J

Sneaks - which Davina DVD do you use?

err, I have 2. Not used them since the wedding prep, but they are good and cheaper than gym membership. I think its the 'power of 3' one?