What are my chances of getting a decent PhD with these credentials?

M

Hey, so I have a BEng in Biomedical Engineering and my GPA was 2.87/4.0. I'm really gutted because my GPA was 3.1 going into my final semester of 4th year but I kind of found it hard to stay focused towards the end and didn't do myself justice in the final exams at all. Because of that, I have a high 2.2 degree instead of a 2.1 degree. With this alone, I know I have pretty much zero hope of landing a decent PhD. The area I want to go into is Evolutionary Biology (I decided this during my final year of engineering), so I am currently studying a taught MSc in Evolutionary Biology at a very decent college. My goal is to use this masters to get into a decent PhD in Evo Bio in a good college, but I'm really worried that my undergraduate GPA has fucked up my chances of ever getting that.  So my question is, if I get a decent masters GPA and and put in a good application for a PhD in a top college, will I have any hope of being accepted at all? Or has my undergrad GPA killed any chance of that every happening?

A

Hi Mac

With a first degree, and then a Masters, you have a reasonable chance of getting onto a PhD program.

However, you do need to think very carefully about the kind of PhD you want, and why you want to do it.

The amount of time studying is considerable.  Will you be doing it for love of the subject, or because it might increase employment prospects?

It is pays to be practical, and to keep these things in mind.  There is a considerable over-production of PhDs, and not everyone wants, or will get, a job in academia.  What will you be hoping to get at the end?

Letters after your name are very nice, but the rent still has to be paid.

Angelette

M

To be honest, the reason I want to do a PhD in this area is because I genuinely enjoy studying it and learning more about it. I don't even care too much about how much I get paid as long as I'm able to pay the bills. I've worked in 4 or 5 summer jobs over the past few years and I've done 8 months work experience in an engineering position as part of my undergrad and I just don't find it very fulfilling at all. Generally I don't feel happy unless I'm studying something in an area I'm interested in. So for that reason I've come to the decision that I want to do whatever I can to pursue a career in academia and make it work. Thanks for the input anyway.

C

======= Date Modified 14 Nov 2011 09:47:13 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--inappropriate content--