WHAT ARE THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF QUESTIONS FOR A PHD?

S

Hi everyone

I am currently writing my Mphil report and i seem to have a lot of main research questions.

by Main i mean (Main) meaning that i can have a lot of sub-questions from that (Main) questions.

My question is ! Do you think 3 main questions are enough? Do i need more?

please help?

B

Eh???

On any research project isn't there one 'main' question you should be addressing - which is what your 'sub questions' would emerge out of (if you know what I mean!)???

BUT, more importantly ...

Should an M.Phil student be asking questions about how many questions are appropriate??? ... Now that is the question!!!

S

he he

I think i will stick to 3 questions only. I feel they are more than enough.

Actually i am sort of a person who has no problem with finding questions to do research!

if anyone has got shortage , i can give you some! he he

S

questions are not the point. the most important thing is how you solved the question and how well you settled it.

O

the world is going insane..

J

For me it depends on how complex answering those questions is likely to be. One of my questions involves filling in gaps of knowlegde in biosythesis: a short question but potentially several years to answer.

But I know what you mean: in some (even very narrow) areas of research there are so many unknowns that it can be hard to decide what to focus on. I'm in the same boat as you right now.

S

This is true, i found many gaps in my field in the area of Computer Ethics. but i decided to focus on 3 questions which i think can generate enough data for a phd.

O

Questions don't generate data. The research student generates data in order to address questions. -- Logical flaw

J

O.Stoll, I think that was quite obvious in what Sue said. This is a quick-fire forum, and therefore most people don't compose a flawlessly logical response before hitting "add message".

Stop looking for opportunities to be nasty, you big bully.

O

Juno, see what the PhD did to me? Now I can't have a trivial conversation without looking for logical flaws and analysing the whole thing. I know, it's too easy to blame the PhD but I really used to be a friendly, nice person. Before I went through Grad School, getting traumatised and damaged for life

O

Besides, I was wrong. The research student actually doesn't generate data, he or she collects data, but the data is already out there. Or is it not? That's almost a philosphical question. What came first, the data or the research student?

J

Actually that last point is very interesting .

I apologise for calling you a big bully. That was out of line
. Stressed over writing my transfer report.

Just felt that people were a bit harsh on Sue; I know just what she means. It is hard to know what to focus on when there are so many unanswered questions.

S

Felt the need to point out that sue000 isn't me - since I haven't been posting much I thought people might think I'd changed my username or something. Hello sue000 - from "sue"!

T

I thought you came up with the questions after you'd collected (or generated?) the data...

S

wow i havent visited the forums for sometimes and a lot has been said and i wasnt here!

I was slaving on my transfer report !!! it is TAKING AGES TO FINISH !

well. Hi Sue

Thanks Juno , you are a sweet person.

No problem o.stoll. I agree with you, PhD make you want to analyse everything.

the good thing is that we dont see things in a superficial way like before,

but the bad side of it, is that we could be boring, into-detail, or simply crazy for the normal people ! if you know what i mean