What can I do?

A

I want to do it properly, but it always seems to be getting harder---to concentrate, to write, to collect data and to do the simplest things like making a simple layout. Why does it have to be so hard for me and not for anyone else? What am I doing wrong? Why is everyone seems to be so "not involved" in a positive way? Why should it always happen to me? Broken ties, forgotten good relations and unseen light?

S

Hi Agniparbon

It's hard for you and it's hard for all of us! And I think a PhD gets harder the longer you do it - the more we learn, on how to write, how to think critically, how to reason better, the more work we realise we need to do. Your post is a bit vague - what particular problems are you experiencing? Has something in particular happened to shake your confidence? Are you not getting enough supervision or support?

So, realise that it does get harder - but this shows that you're learning! If you're finding it hard to conentrate and to work effectively, what are the underlying reasons for this? Are you feeling overwhelmed by the work? We know the solution to this - start with just a little bit of work and keep going. Break large projects down into little tasks. Have 'to do' lists.

And don't be too hard on yourself! You are smart enough, you obviously have produced good work to get where you are. Sorry to not offer really concrete advice - feel free to tell us more and we all might be able to help you better.

P

Hi there,

You've had issues earlier where you had troubles before an upgrade or similar? Since this is continuing, would you want a proper sit down meeting with advisors, supervisor or any grad pastoral person to talk through issues? These things do not die a natural death, and if you are feeling your research has serious issues, or you are struggling and getting signs that you may not be able to handle the whole of it, on time, perhaps now is when you sit and deal with it with the folk concerned?

PS: Your name on this forum, I presume, has 'fire' in its first word 'Agni' and hence I think you should be strong!