What do they look for if a research proposal is not needed for a funded project?

S

In the PhD application, what do you have to write about yourself for an already funded project which the professor passes it onto you? The research questions have been identified, so no proposal is required. It is just a matter of answering them and write it up into a 100,000 word thesis. I am not clued up about this sort of thing. Any advice is much appreciated.

BTW, the suject area is way off what I was doing for undergrad and postgrad, so have to learn it from scratch. but I've read some other posts saying that people with background in physics can be taken in to biochemistry. So I assume prior acquired knowledge should not be regarded as a priority?

M

As far as I'm aware, when you apply for a pre-funded post, they're very much looking for what an employer would look for. If you have to write some kind of personal statement or covering letter, emphasis why you want to do a PhD, why that one specifically, maybe what draws you to the lab or university if they are held in especially high regard. Perhaps describe what you've done in the past, science-wise, and how this shows that you're suited to a PhD. Finally, you could mention something about the difference between your past studies and the subject area of the new PhD, and give evidence of something which shows that you're up to the challenge of transferring to a new area.

S

thanks, Matthew82, that's very helpful. I'll write it up in the way of a marketing material...haha...

M

No problem at all - one thing I forgot to mention. While for some projects, a little prior knowledge is expected, there's no way that you could have any more than extremely basic knowledge of a PhD area before you start it, as you'll be spending three years on it. If you already knew everything there was to know about it, there's be little point in doing the PhD.

Keep us posted on how the application goes!

G

Apparently, I'm reliably informed that whats looked for is evidence that you can 'work independtly' [no spoon feeding]. I would have thought obvious, but maybe examples of such would help your case.

S

Yep, maybe a CV and some writing sample work will also help although they don't ask for them.....

M

Sourapple, if there's anything you can send them (within reason) that they haven't asked for, but that might help your application, then send it. Things I'm mean are copies of degree certificate, or even better an offical statement of your module results from your uni, if you think this would help. Maybe a CV or covering letter, as suggested previously, if you think these might work. Remember, you're trying to sell yourself to them, and as long as you are truthful, I don't think you have anything to lose

K

Hi Sourapple - my PhD was esxactly like this, a pre-formed project for which they were recruiting the right person. I didn't have to do a proposal or anything.

Matthew and Golfpro are right, the best policy is to treat it as if you are applying for a job and work up the skills you have. Independent working is indeed one of the prerequisites, and the key thing is to demonstrate that you have the academic capability and sufficient interest in the subject in question. Although you say that your undergrad was not directly related, think about modules you took that may map on to the PhD, talk about ones you excelled in and build on these strengths. Do you also have any work experience that may assist you?

S

Hi kronkodile, I don't have any relevant work experience. And the only undergrad module I can think of which is related to social research methods.

S

Oh maybe I should ask my undergrad tutor to comment on my strength in the related components. It is more convincing than I sell it to them myself. How important are references in getting such kind of pre-funded post, I mean, in comparison to your own one?