what do you do with comments that come after paper has been sent off????

J

hi, hope you're all having a beatiful day.

i have just received comments on a paper that i sent off last week pointing to an error in scope in the publication, saying it didn't cover some things and also giving me information that could have enhanced the quality of the paper. none of it points to an obvious error, apart from not taking into consideration some stuff and not noting the latest on some things.

what should i do? since the paper is under review, am thinking that if it gets past the referees then thats it. i will let it be, because there is no such thing as a perfect paper. i will incorporate these comments in my thesis and other forthcoming papers. do you think am going wrong by taking that approach instead of recalling the paper and amending it. prior to sending it off, i had got it reviewed independently by about 5 people and presented it in conference and no one noted these faults with the paper. what would you do?

S

I would consider amending it after review with a note to the editor (keeping the changes minimal). Chances are very high that you will have some amendments from the review anyway.

S

I would wait for the reviewer's comment...there is good chance they will notice those things...and if they don't well keep them in mind for your next paper unless those informations drastically change what you report in your paper....good luck with those reviews!!!

R

Hi Jojo,

all depends on who has made the comments. If it is a reviewer from the journal, I would amend (my experience is that small changes are OK or justify why you cannot change it), then send in again. If it is someone not related to the journal I would not change anything.
The editor will accept if you have made changes (based on comments from a reviewer), if not he/she may request again to do this.Good luck

J

thanks guys. the comments are from a guy in industry, so i'll wait and see. if they are happy with it i'l leave it at that.