What happens if you cite Wiki on your PhD work?

T

======= Date Modified 09 Oct 2012 10:21:04 =======
Imagine a person is doing their viva, or presenting their research progress, and the person has cited a wiki page, what would happen to the person? Any experience?

*I'm at the moment tired from reading the literature and want to procrastinate a bit lol :$

L

They would get laughed out of town! No experience other than being told to look on wikipedia for simple explanations of difficult concepts but NEVER EVER cite them!

H

Wikipedia's a useful resource. But the best written Wiki articles cite all their facts. So the sensible thing to do would be to look at the primary source being cited by Wiki and use that.

One of the problems with Wikipedia is it is dynamic. So if there was a very good reason for citing it, you'd have to ensure that your examiners were able to check the article version to which you were referring.

D

I'd only cite Wiki to demonstrate the popular view of something, but never as an academic source.

D

I'd only cite Wiki to demonstrate the popular view of something, but never as an academic source.

D

citing an image you took from wiki is fine, right?

H

Quote From DrJeckyll:

citing an image you took from wiki is fine, right?

Yes, assuming the licensing agreements allow reuse (which I'm pretty sure they always do with Wiki.) You should quote the appropriate Creative Commons licensing agreement when using the images.