What happens if you quit?

B

Hi I'm coming to the end of first year social sciences PhD. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what will happen if I quit at this stage. What happens with the funding for this year - do I have to pay it back?

Thanks

Hi Bug. I don't know if this is different at each University but at my Institution, you only have to pay back the money that you were paid in advance. In other words, as long as the money you received covers only the period you are registered with the university, you don't owe anything. But it is a different matter if your bursary is from a University department and you transfer to another University with the same thesis. (my sister's University (in UK) for example states that on the bursary paper that she needed to sign)

V

regarding scholarship- it depends what the paper you signed says.
regarding what happens- one guy who did not pass the 1st year report in our university some years ago, is now a millionaire in Asia:)))

A

A millionaire in which currency?

Why do you want to quit Bug?

B

I want to quit because I have my transfer viva from MPhil to PhD in 3 weeks and I do not even have a research proposal anymore. My sup completely rubbished my last 3 ideas and now I'm back to square one. If I were to come up with something new now I would have only 3 weeks to do it in. About 3 weeks to do about 6 months work. I just don't see anyway out of it. I think it might be better for my future if I 'jump before I am pushed'.

P

I think you need to decide whether you want to do your PhD or not. If you do, and the only reason you want to quit now is because you are worried you won't succeed in 3 weeks time, then the way I see it, you may as well give it a go - you have nothing to lose and the opportunity to do a PhD to gain. Do you have more than one supervisor? Maybe it's time to bring in some back up - can you organise a meeting ASAP, be honest about what the problem is and ask for help in solving it? Good luck!

V

3 weeks if you are very highly motivated is enought to write a quite decent 1st year report. In addition, if you dont pass with the 1st attempt, they give you feeback on your report and you have opportunity to submit it once more. If you are motivated and really a PhD material, using that feedback you will definitely pass.

I totally agree with Piglet and verdy. Don't give up Bug (unless it is really making you feel down and it is not what you want). 3 weeks is a long time, anything is possible. If you get stuck with anything during this time, you can always ask a question to the forum, and we will all try and help you. This way, you can put the 6 months worth of work to good use (and beleive me, if you take a break from it for a day, you will see a gap in the subject where you can propose something); and if things don't work out you can at least say to yourself that you tried your best.

R

Remember that there are no failures, just the results. So, bite the bullet and write something in next 3 weeks. If things go well, continue and change the world and if anything goes wrong, itz not the end of life

Give a try.. give your best.

S

if you quit, before you are paid for the start of the next academic year (sep/oct) then I dont think there is any payback. But even if you do I think its better to sit the viva at the end of year, let them (the uni/grad school) know why you think you want to quit. Second point, if you have come up with few ideas before and if you can still generate more ideas, then 3 weeks for coming up with a proposal as a first year report may not be impossible since you have done your background work. It doesnt have to be grand but coherent and make some sense to a person who knows your area. I guess, if you write it and want to present it for the viva then your Supervisor cant say no to that & you are ready for the outcome either way. This is like a trial, you can argue a case with good evidence -your proposal (good or bad). My feeling is that you probably should decide "to quit or not to quit " after the viva. Let us know what happens.