What happens next?

K

Hi everyone.

As some of you will remember, I did my viva in january, and got corrections which were partway between minor and major, (mostly minor corrections, but as I work full time they wanted to give me longer than the standard period for minor to re-submit) so they had to go for the revise and resubmit option. I have now completed my corrections and am ready to resubmit. i was told at the viva that I didn't need another one (they told my supervisior the same thing) so i am not expecting to have to meet with them again. my question now is, what happens next? Presumably they will be sent my thesis and will read it through again, with particular attention to the changes. I have written a long and detailed letter to explain these changes and where they are/ how I made them. Will they then write to me to let me know the outcome? i am assuming they can require some more changes (such as typos etc) if what I have done is satisfactory? Cant wait to get this finished off now!

D

Hi Kikuka, I am also in the same position in that I have addressed the minor corrections from my viva and have a printed (temp bound) copy with the uni.  I am under the impression that in my case the 'corrected' thesis will be forwarded to my internal examiner for them to review my corrections. I had to produce a document to show exactly what I have changed aswell.  I also have no idea how long this process may take. If the internal examiner is not satisfied with the changes I have made, will they correspond directly with me to make further amendments?  I am not sure either how I will be informed of the outcome. To be honest, this final part is the least documented process in the uni regulations!!!  Love to hear others comments too.

M

Hi,

I am in the same situation. I have been given minor but was told it was sort of major (viva was in July). Now, again the rules at my University are unclear. So, exactly what happens when i submit my corrections? Would I get feedback on them? What happens if the examiner is unhappy with them? :-s Any ideas?

Thanks.

C

I've got minor corrections, and I was handed the list soon after my viva. I got a confirmation letter from my uni saying that I should liaise with my internal examiner and submit the corrected copy directly to him. He asked me to work using the "track changes" function in word and then e-mail the parts that I have to amend. In this way it should be quicker, as I can just print out only the final copy for submission to Registry after corrections have been approved.

I think that you should contact your internal examiner and he/she should be able to tell you what to do. I am lucky because our department is small and I know my internal examiner, so I don't mind getting in touch to check things along the way.

Talking to the internal examiner is the way to go if possible.

Before you formally resubmit, I would see if it's okay to sit down with the internal and go through your list of changes.  If the internal is happy, then you'll be less likely to have any problems with the external if all the changes they requested are ticked off satisfactorily.

There is still the slight danger of downgrade to MPhil if the corrections are not in line with what the examiners had in mind, however, if you've shown that you have attempted to satisfactorily address their problems then the worst is they'll probably hand it back to say they need more done.  You supervisor should have made sure you've done the corrections properly anyway.

K

Well I have submitted, in my Uni it is not the done thing to contact the examiners yourself so I couldn't do that, but I did pass all my changes through my supervisor who checked them all through in detail. I am confident that I have done everything I can to address the required corrections as well as most of the non compulsory suggestions too. Guess I just have to wait now, but I am hopeful that the outcome won't be an mphil as they were very positive at the viva, ANC said I don't need another, which gives me a little more confidence. Still got that worry at the back of my mind though so fingers crossed!

M

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem. After my minor corrections, my internal told me to submit only the final version (even though at the time of viva, she was saying I could come to her) and won't discuss the changes while I made them. I am almost done now and hope to submit them in the coming week after getting final approval from the supervisor. The internal insists that I work with my supervisor for the changes but my supervisor says he is now out of the game and is upto the internal. It is really quite confusing actually.

Well, I hope you and everyone who is in this stage, the best of luck. It is definitely worse than my pre-viva stage.

Warm regards