What is a relevant discipline? Help!

G

I am doing a Chemistry Degree and I am interested in doing a phD in genetics. All the universities require a first or upper second in a relevant discipline. What is this for genetics?. Oxford do include Chemistry but I think that, that is being a bit ambitious. HELP!

G

Well bearing in mind that geneticists are usually a bit, shall we say, particular (i dont wanna say arrogant), it is usually best to have a degree in genetics, molecular genetics or molecular biology. Chemistry should put you in a good position regardless; it gets a lot of respect because most biologists are crap at chemistry. It also depends on where you wanna go. Also these days it is important to have very sound data handling/stats skills cos thats what its all about at the moment - loads of data but what does it mean?

G

I would say apply but be prepared for an uphill battle, which is always a good laugh.

What qualifies as a relevant discipline for PhD study in a particular department will have more to do with the specific nature of the project than the name of the department. Many projects cross disciplines. Project supervisors will be concerned as to whether you have enough background knowledge to see you through the start of the project. It may be worth considering a masters course to bring yourself up to speed. Presuming you're about to start the final year of your degree, choose a final year project that involves some biochemistry. Apply early for any PhD projects that you're interested in (you can start applying for some October 2004 studentships from October onwards). If you don't get a good response there's still time to apply for a masters degree.

G

Yeh good advice! Badger some people in the genetics department at your uni and hang around their lab as well to see if you can get some experience. Even if your filling tip boxes, its better than nothing. If you offer to do a 96 well PCR for someone, they will usually be more than happy to let you do it (i know i would!!)