What makes a good PhD application?

M

======= Date Modified 15 50 2010 21:50:33 =======
I'm seriously considering applying for a PhD in Creative Writing later this year and would like to know what makes a good application.

Is it the research proposal and a decent MA mark (I've just finished up an MA in Creative Writing)?

I was the only student on the course to get AHRC funding. Is this worth mentioning?

Thanks for all your thoughts :-)

M

======= Date Modified 16 Sep 2010 12:29:32 =======
Hello Mothy,

My phd is in a different area to yours but I could give you my tupenny's worth in general terms if it helps.

My supervisor said that my MA mark, previous work experience and my motivation to do the phd (ie my reasons for wanting to do it and my passion for the subject) were the main reasons that my app was successful.

I didn't have to do a written proposal or methods but I did go over these in my interview.

That's all I guess. It would be great to get some other peeps on here to give their views.

Best of luck with your apps and yeah defo mention your funding thing - ring all your bells that's how you stand out.

P

i'm also in another area, but I can tell you what helped the most with my phd application. I think the research proposal has to be good, in that it's well put together/thought out, and it adds something or has something unique to what is already out there. I don't know if your phd application process works the same way, but part of mine was to write a personal statement. And that's were you should write about how committed, motivated, enthusiastic etc you are, and your own strengths. You definatly want to mention any other funding you've got, as that's a key part of academia in any discipline. The last thing I think is worth mentioning is good references. If everything else is equal with another candidate, then these could make the difference. But I think that the funding you got is going to help set you apart, and the main thing to focus on will probably be the research proposal.

When you have an idea for a research proposal, don't be afraid to approach someone who works in that area in academia and ask their opinions and advice, or to ask if they would be interested in potentially supervising your phd. I don't know if it works the same way in your discipline, but in mine, if you have a little bit of time before you want to start your phd, then securing a supervisor first is a great strategy - they will then help with your research proposal, and may open up more sources of funding to apply for than you would have known about by yourself, and generally help you through the process.

hope some of this is helpful for you, good luck!

L

Hi,

I applied to a few different institutions, and got a couple of offers out of it. I think with me, it was mostly the interview that did the trick. I agree with the previous replies, a lot depends on how well you sell yourself, ie strong personal statement, good interviews. You should be able to demonstrate that you truly have a profound interest in the area you're applying for. With my interviews, it was particularly important to prove that I actually spent some of my spare time reading about new developments in my area (Bioengineering), and they did ask me to explain - in detail - about a book I had read on epigenetics. So be prepared to answer such questions.
Also, make sure you 'shape' your CV according to the studentship you're applying for. I'm not telling you to lie, but just emphasize points that you think will make you look like a suitable candidate, and maybe omit some things that have no bearing on a particular application. Finally, don't apply to too many places. It's what I did, and I ended up wasting a lot of time (and paper).

Good luck xx