What might be the outcome of this Situation

L

I am an International student from India.
Did my BSc from University of Sheffield recieved a 2.1 (but only 61).
I have carried out a research project in Australia's University of Queensland in the subject of Neuroscience.
I am currently persuing a MRes (self-funded) at Imperial College.
I am highly keen on taking up a PhD (in molecular biology and biochemistry) but don't have any more money to fund myself for it.

Considering my above experience, qualifications and status, what would be my chances of recieving a funding?

Any advice/help will be appriciated.

Thanks

O

Speaking in the tradition of Golfpro: your chances are unfortunately extremely slim as an International student.

S

however... as you have been in the UK for a while, the most important question is: do you have indeterminate leave to remain? or are you on a (student) visa?

because: the research councils' eligibility criteria have very little to do with nationality but LOTS with residence. if you have indeterminate leave to remain AND have been resident in the UK for 3 years, then you could be eligible, no matter your nationality. there might be a slight problem with having to have been in the UK "not for primarily educational reasons" but this clause is wobbly at best.

i think you should look at your research council's criteria very carefully and discuss them with your prospective supervisor.

A

shani: unfortunately, that's not exactly the case. Research councils will only fund EU students, not non-EU. However, some departments allocate funding to non-EU students to rectify this - if I were you, lostkate, I would look at departmental funding first.

S

anto, it was my belief that non-eu nationals just have to fulfil two extra conditions, which are
- not having been resident in the UK for the last three years for the main reason of higher education (thus, having been resident in the UK for the last three years for some other main reason, for example, for the reason of living with your husband/family, or for working)
- having indeterminate leave to remain.

EU nationals do not have to fulfil those two criteria but only the three years residence (to get full funding) or three years residence in the EU (outside of the UK) to get fees only funding.

so, in fact, someone with Indian citizenship for example, who has grown up in the UK and lived here with his/her family is most likely eligible for full RC funding. however, UK citizens who have not grown up in the UK are not eligible (or eligible for fees only if they have been living in the EU).