What questions should I ask when emailing potential Supervisors

B

I apologise in advance if this question has been asked before. I am sure it has been but the search function on this website is horrible!

I just graduated with a BSc in Genetics and I am trying to apply for some PhDs. I have been looking up some potential supervisors and emailing them. Having a hard time getting replies back. I know it is hard to get a reply back. I could barely get a reply back from my supervisor during my final year dissertation while working in his lab!

I wanted some tips on what to write in the email when contacting the supervisors. Currently I express my interest in their work/project while mentioning a brief of what I have studied so far and what my interests are.

I do not know if that is enough or the correct way. Any tips that you guys would like to mention?

M

Hi Bilalbm,

It sounds like what you are doing is fine, but potential supervisors get a lot of these & they tend not to stand out much. I would highly recommend going to a post-grad open evening & speak with someone from the department you're interested in working in. That way you're more than just a name on an e-mail.

Good luck with the hunting!

Mog

B

I would love to do that if it was not for the fact that we are in different countries. :(

Email or phone is my only way. Have not tried calling so much at the moment. Should I?

M

Ah, OK, that's tricky!
Yes, I think phoning is fine. If you're contacting UK universities they are pretty hard to contact over the summer but they should get going again mid September.

B

I am actually in the UK atm. Being an international student means that I do not have many funding opportunities. Got some reserve positions and that was it. They made it clear in interviews that they do not have full funds for me and that I will have to arrange the difference somehow.

:(

I have been looking at Canada and rest of the Europe now. Emailing and finding a bit hard to get a reply. Made this post so I could get some tips on how to get in touch.

P

Are you sending your CV along with the Email? Also, when I was applying for PhDs (all outside the U.K.), I found that asking for a Skype chat to discuss my interest in their lab worked really well! Just make sure that you have read up on their work and have questions prepared beforehand because some do like to use this as an unofficial interview!

Good luck, hope this helps!!:-)