What's the dress code for PhD VIVA

J

I am thinking about causal suit plus leather shoes but without necktie. Just wondering what's normal dress code for male PhD candidate in VIVA, try to show the respect for the examinears.:-)

R

I've been thinking about this too, as mine's this week. Not about men's clothes as I'm not one, but I was thinking that I should probably dress as if it's a job interview, to show I'm taking the whole process seriously. I'm trying to find something to wear in between being overly formal, which I hate and would feel very trussed up and uncomfortable in, and what I wear normally, ie more casual I suppose. I'm worried that if I wear something really different to usual it'll feel really alien and I won't perform very well. It will probably just be a skirt, blouse and plain pumps, though with slightly limited choices as I've noticed I've put on quite a bit of weight in the past few months and can't fit into several skirts now! :-s

What did other people wear for theirs?

B

Depends on field you are working in but I would go for full suit with the tie (and not a Mickey Mouse one ya got for Christmas). It is a professional display and perhaps the most vital in your academic life. I know most people are intimidated by wearing the god awful things, but you will have to admit that wearing one does give you that buzz that you are actually serious for a few hours ;-)

Of course, I could be wrong. Discuss it with your work colleagues/supervisor in a matter of factly manner next time ya meet him.

By the way - good luck and congrats for getting this far
(up)

A

I (female) wore pants and a smart top, and leather shoes. I think its important to be comfortable. The examiners are there to examine your thesis....not your fashion IQ. Just look smart, tidy and be comfortable.

A

I wore a horrendous outfit for my viva. I had stress-related chest acne, so had to wear a high-necked top under the blouse I'd ironed, which ended up being held together with a pin because the fastening broke at the last minute. I also wore my ever-uncomfortable teaching trousers which are really itchy. I was overjoyed to pass, but there was no feeling like getting those horrible trousers off at the end of the day.

R

======= Date Modified 11 May 2009 12:51:22 =======
Alicepalace, that sounds horrible, extra stress on top of the actual viva! Do you reckon it affected your performance, ie by feeling uncomfortable?

I'm imagining I'll feel the same, getting home to put on comfortable but slightly scruffy clothes again!

G

I wore shirt and tie, smart trousers and smart leather shoes. I hate wearing ties, and the shoes were uncomfortable, BUT I found that the whole dressing-up thing helped me to focus on the importance of the viva. As my supervisor advised me just before it, the viva is your formal point of entry into the community of professional scholars. Best to dress as a professional scholar then (minus the elbow patches).

M

I'm planning to dress formally as I know at least one of the examiners always dresses formally.

A few old school type examiners may get very offended if a male student doesn't bother with a tie, or a female student doesn't bother with a jacket... of course, if the atmosphere is less stuffy the tie or jacket can always be taken off.

I'll probably be opting for a standard black or navy trouser suit depending on which fits!

A

@Rubyw: haha, no - I think it must have aided my performance because I somehow managed to pass unconditionally, with no corrections!

C

My viva is this week too , I am gonna wear my lucky suit :P or at least i feel it is gonna bring me good luck .. I was told to NOT to wear casual, jeans and a trainers :P
let us know how things go with ur viva and what did u wear :P

A

Quote From jiou0962:

I am thinking about causal suit plus leather shoes but without necktie. Just wondering what's normal dress code for male PhD candidate in VIVA, try to show the respect for the examinears.:-)

That sounds perfect. I had my viva two months ago and three nights before I text my supervisor asking him was smart casual OK or should I wear a suit. He said smart casual was perfect and not to wear a tie but bring a pen and notepaper to take down their recommendations. So I did. Text your supervisor sure.

Unless they are complete fairies academics usually shun ties anyway. That is one of the really cool things about academia.

G

======= Date Modified 19 May 2009 14:19:48 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Post Removed -Advertising-

A

Here I am, my VIVA is in one hour.... I am wearing a suit, shirt, tie... black shoes... all very smart. My reasoning was: better to be over-dressed than under-dressed (e.g. if all the examiners show up wearing ties and all that, and I am in my cacky pants with a shirt).....in any case... I'll let you know how it went!

P

======= Date Modified 19 May 2009 14:20:19 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
======= Date Modified 19 May 2009 13:46:36 =======

Quote From glass:

I received my wedding dress on Friday from ????? and it is everything I wanted in my dress.???????? have truly exceeded my expectation.

8-)

Am I the only one thinks:

A) PhD viva and weddings are slightly different occasions (albeit both having to do with commitments), and hence Glass's post is completely out of context

and more,

B) that SPAM is completely irritating

Cheers Glass, let's all go buy wedding clothes...

R

Quote From Aodhán:

Unless they are complete fairies academics usually shun ties anyway. That is one of the really cool things about academia.

Eh? Fairies wear ties...? What a weird thing to say.

Bug, I liked the wedding dress spam actually, it is so wonderfully misplaced!