What's the Process for upgrading to your PhD when you're 1+3

B

Hello chaps. I've just finished the MSc component of my 1+3 which is funded by the ESRC. Does anyone know what happens now - am will I automatically be registered for my PhD place? Do I have to re-register for my funding? My supervisor gave birth a couple of days ago so is in no position to really help!

B.x

P

I would assume that as part of the 1+3 you would go onto the PhD, subject to satisfactory progress of your MSc. Perhaps check with your department? and/or the ESRC?

C

Generally without a masters you register as Mphil and get upgraded (after a viva or report). My money (MRC) just kept appearing by direct debit all through.
Is there a departmental secretary or finance person in your department?

E

Hi Bobby,

I'm a fellow 1+3er and at my uni we just carried on into the PhD, no transfer report or mini viva or stuff like that. I do remember having to register again at the university at the beginning of the academic year as the PhD is a different degree from the masters, but apart from that it was a bit of an anti-climax with no formal start as such!

E

Oops forgot about the funding bit... like cc my funding wasn't interrupted, the ESRC just required evidence of re-registration with the university, which I faxed to them, although perhaps your uni (like mine does nowadays) deals with ESRC admin internally, which will be loads quicker and easier (hopefully ). I'd definately get on to the department/graduate administrator for the info, they'll know for sure what's what with this.

B

Marvellous! Thanks guys