What should I be looking out for

L

For all you people out there already succesfully enrolled in projects.

What questions would you advise that I ask potential supervisors? I'm visiting a lab tomorrow and although I don't think it's for me (the paper I was sent put me to sleep) I would still like to use it as a learning experience before I find a project that I am enthusiastic about.

I don't want to just wander round smiling politely and going uh-huh. I know there are places that tell you typical things to look out for but i'd like to hear it from real students experiences not advice pages.

J

You could try general stuff:

How long have you been looking at (....) - what drew you to that area of research, etc. Or about links with other labs in the UK and abroad: most good research groups will have several links.

Specifically: what analytical equipment/software is used (MS, NMR, DAD) and which manufacturer (labs usually have a preferred brand). Or about the health and safety implications, esp. since you're pregnant. And the sharing of menial tasks between group members, and out-of-hours work.

I've found that asking people why they reserach what they do, and their friends in other labs, is usually enough to get them talking, then all you have to do is look fascinated

J

Though try not to be too good an interviewee if you really don't want the job. I once did exactly what you're doing (wasn't really keen but went to the interview out of curiosity) and got offered the position the next day, which made me feel guilty