What to say at interview - Please help!

M

For those of you who haven't read my posts in the past, here's a little summary of my situtation...

I got a BSc in Pharmacology in 2005. I then did worked as a research technician in a respiratory cell biology group from September 2005 to June 2006, in the lab in Sheffield where I did my final year research project.

I was offered a PhD in Bristol in January 2006, but rejected it. Then I was offered one in Sheffield in April 2006, and accepted. However, over last summer, I was somewhat ill (depression) and wasn't in any decent state to start the PhD in September. Therefore, I withdrew at rather late notice. I am now doing tem-p office work in my home town (I've applied for science jobs but they're either too far away or I'm "over-qualified").

I am now looking to apply for more PhDs, but am worried about what to say at interview concerning my move from science to temp work. I feel I have three options:

Cont...

M

cont...

1. Say nothing and hope the question doesn't come up.

2. Admit it all, be honest, but this would probably put me out of the running immediately..

3. Say nothing, but be prepared for a question about it if and when it is asked. The problem then is - what do I say?

I could be totally honest about it if asked.
I could say I was ill but give no more details.
I could say that I didn't find a PhD that I was interested in, although one supervisor I want to work with knows that I accepted one.

I want to strike the best medium between telling the truth and not ruling myself out of getting the place. So, any ideas?

J

I don't think telling the truth would rule you out: at least two very sucessful professors that I know have suffered with mental breakdown (temporarily, fortunately), and have overcome it to continue their careers. Its more common than many people think (take Stephen Fry)
and there is a good chance your interviewing panel know someone whohas been through the same experience. If they are not understanding, then sod them and move on.

J

In addition the fact that you have held down a job is a good sign: it doesn't matter that it's temping, it shows that you are together now.
If you are still concerned, is it possible to ask your local uni for a month's work experience (a mini-project of some sort) to show that you can work and write reports? That way you have something to show at interview.

M

Juno, thanks for the reply. I'd love to work at my local uni, even on an unpaid basis. However, my local uni (I won't say which one in case anyone here goes there and is offended) is dire, and their science research facilities are almost zero in my area of knowledge. The nearest good uni for my area is Manchester, but it's a bit too far to go to travel every day, especially unpaid. I am still looking for science work, but it seems highly unlikely that any will arrive before September.

T

Temporary work is nothing to be ashamed of; I did a temping job for a year before i started my PhD. I had looked for a science job but there was nothing available in my area and i needed money so I started temping. I explained that at various interviews and nobody had a problem with it. I also think that spending time working in an office is time well spent; for myself it involved time management and working to deadlines, dealing with people, team management and organisation.. Skills that are useful in the research environment. Regarding your illness, my view is to be honest about it, I had some personal probs during my undergrad degree which affected my final degree. If someone knows u turned a phd down then it is inevitable that they will ask why at an interview. In my interviews I was asked to explain what had happened and whether it was likely to occur again.

T

cont..

I was honest and they were cool with it. The worst thing you could do is lie and then get found out as that would certainly put any potential supervisor off. You have to remember that these supervisors are intelligent people and will be aware that people have set backs and will not hold it against you. If however they did hold it against you, would you really want to spend 3 years with them as your supervisor?

M

I know what you're saying tricky, and agree with it totally. The only problem comes with the question "Is it likely to happen again?", as I can't honest say "definitely not". While I'd hope it wouldn't, of course, it has happened one other time, and I'm worried about getting labelled as a quitter, even though there are good reasons for it. At the same time, my A-Levels and degree shows that I am capable of doing ok, so there's an upside I guess.

J

True, but no-one else can ever say that it won't happen to them either. I think everyone has the capability to experience breakdown.

A member of my family had a very serious long-term drug problem, which I know is not the same as what happened to you, but the fact that they have now turned their life so completely around, and are working harder than anyone esle I know, has convinced me that people who drag themselves back up from rock-bottom and keep going are more deserving of respect than those who've never strayed from the easy life.

M

To be honest, Juno, I think that people in these situations, once they've managed to overcome or at least reduce to effect of the problem, can become the hardest working and highest achievers. Unfortunately, it doesn't always happen that they can overcome it. I have been told by psychiatrists/psychologists that my problems can help me, and part of them are linked with doing well academically, so if I do a PhD, I guess I just have to accept them. It's worrying about the effect that they'll have which is the problem.

I remember an academic who, every three years, had a dire period of depression. He would take 3 months off each time, and then be fine until the next phase in three years time. It does seem more prevalent than average in academics though.

W

Ummmm difficult really cause I susspect that maybe you may find that declaring it to one and all might put them off so maybe I wouldnt go asking about it BUT if they ask in interview then maybe you might consider telling them....as if you get asked 'why have you had such a large gap in returning to studies is it really something you have always wanted to do?' then maybe being honest is better at least they will know you really want to do it an have not just decided you dont like the world of work!

On the other hand I know totally what you mean about keeping it from them Im dyslexic (totally different I know) but put it on the application form but then avoided mentioning it at all costs in the interview in case they held it against me! Its a trick one I guess you can only see what the vibe is at the interview an see how you think they might take it!

M

Yeah, I could say that it was due to illness, but then only go into details if they ask. I think it's maybe a good idea to be honest, without being too frank.

K

I don't think they would really ask many details if you said it was down to illness, it's personal and that information isn't really relevant. They will probably just assume it was something like glandular fever or cancer. The British reserve has got to have some advantages!