what to say in acknowledgements

Y

I've just completed a ms which isn't a big deal but it was a pretty draining process writing it. I want to thank a couple of people (inc. supervisor) who persevered with me and helped in its development but i' m drawing a complete blank and i only have til tomorrow. Please can any one offer advice on nice/appropriate/original things to say? I want nothing to gushy (its not my thesis after all), but i don't want it to be too informal. any advice?

S

Just thank and acknowledge all those who helped you during this process by naming them one by one - example: ''I am very grateful/I would like to thank/I would like to extend my gratitude or appreciation to X for guiding and supporting me/stood by me when I felt like this was the last straw or felt like giving up(!) (ok, that's probably not a good idea although it may reflect your true emotions ;-) or it could actually sound humorous...) throughout this challenging endeavor" or something like that. Then mention something similar about Y and then Z and conclude by asserting that you couldn't have possibly completed this without their guidance and support (if you want).

I don't know how original this may sound to you but I hope it helps somewhat! Good luck and let us know how it goes.(up)

P

no help to you for just making a joke, and you guys wil have heard of this one for ages, but I once read a book where the author thanked this way....

"and finally, I would like to thank my wife for staying up with me as I revised drafts upon drafts, but most, I'd like to thank my two lovely chidren X and Y, but for whose help this book would have been finished at least two years ago.

To them, with love, I dedicate this book"

N

I agree with the others - for my dissertation acknowledgements I probably was a bit gushy but then quite a few other teaching staff from university helped me as well as my supervisor. I looked at a few of the dissertations in the library first to get an idea, I thanked my supervisor first then the other 3 lecturers in order of how much they had helped me and saying what they did. My sup recommended that I spoke to them so I thought it would be only fair to acknowledge them. Then I put a close friend from my course who helped me (she put me in hers as well), then my proof readers, then my parents! It wasn't that long but hopefully it didn't sound too much like an acceptance speech - I must have been in a good mood when I wrote it!