what would you do

E

I am in the 2nd year if my 4 years PhD and the organisation that have funded my PhD will close in couple of years. This will not affect my scholarship but my supervisor has decided to join another organisation. Currently we are based at Bristol Uni and he is going to Kent. the organisation I am doing the PhD with, part of Bristol uni has an international reputation as is the other one in Kent. My supervisor explained that she would like to supervise me and i have the choice to carry on in the department I am based or to follow her in the new one. if not i could carry on as usual and we would meet once a month for the supervision meeting. what would you do if you were in my case?many thanks

H

I would stay put - unless your supervisor is what makes the department you are currently in good. I am not sure what sort of research you are doing but by my 2nd year I was into my fieldwork and a move would have probably been diasterous. If you have a solid team around you - then stay. But if you rely (in a good way) on your supervisor and monthly meetings is not going to be enough then....

R

epzds

interesting position.
Seems that you are getting on well with your supervisor (which based on the postings in this forum is not always the case!) and as such you could consider moving, as you do not know how things will be in the future (both regarding organisation in Bristol nor regarding your supervision there). Obviously as with any choice there are advantages and disadvantages regarding any decision and finally you have to choose. Go by your feeling!