Whats my next step?

Z

Hi all,

I finished my degree in Life Sciences (2:2) a few years ago and have since been working part time in my dream job of Cetacean Strandings Manager (whales and dolphins) at a respected academic institution. I've been accredited on a few papers and have access to a fantastic peer group as well as data. I've been thinking about doing a PhD based on the data I work on daily (I have the full backing of my line manager) as it's a very interesting area and there is definitely a project there but have no idea what my next step would be.

Do I need to do a Masters first, I'm sure it would be a good idea but it would cost me more money (something I really don't have). As well as taking 2 years as I don't want to quit my job and want to do it part time.

Who makes the decision about whether I need to do one, funding body, University?

Basically this is just something I've been thinking about for a while and I'm not sure what the best next step is, any help you can give me is gratefully received!!

Zem

Z

I'm thinking my best next move may be to write up a project proposal to then send on to a supervisor/University and see what they say... good idea?

Z

I'm thinking my best next move may be to write up a project proposal to then send on to a supervisor/University and see what they say... good idea?

J

I think in the life sciences getting funding with a 2:2 might be difficult. However, most research councils seem to accept a 2:2 with a relevant masters degree... not sure how charity funding works though!

Z

I managed to speak to a very helpful guy at Natural Environment Research Council who would be the people that would probably fund me. He said that although he couldn't guarantee it, he was fairly sure that my work experience would be enough to mean I won't have to do a Masters. He also said that if I could get a uni to take me on that there is no reason I wouldn't get funding. Problem is getting a uni to take me on!

It's all a really quite daunting to be honest.

J

if you are already working at 'a respected academic instituition' could you not enquire into the possibility of you doing a part time PhD while you work? Sorry if this is something you've already thought of!!!

You could always try doing a google scholar search for papers related to your topic area. That way you might be able to get the names of some potential supervisors and email contacts for them too? Just a thought...

Z

Hi Jon, yeah that's what I'm talking about, sorry clearly didn't explain myself well. I'm interested in doing a part-time PhD based on the data I collect in my job.

I'm currently writing up my proposed question, looking for supervisors and talking to the phd department at my work.