When are referees contacted?

M

If someone applies for a PhD studentship, when would referees be contacted? Before or after an offer?

M

I had to get my referees to send their references at the same time as my applications. All 3 universities stipulated that they wouldn't even consider the application until the references had been received, and one continually emailed me to ask me to chase up my referees! All this was before I received the offers.

M

Quote From moussec:

I had to get my referees to send their references at the same time as my applications. All 3 universities stipulated that they wouldn't even consider the application until the references had been received, and one continually emailed me to ask me to chase up my referees! All this was before I received the offers.

I was asked to provide details of three academic referees. I went for an interview last week, so was wondering whether they might be getting references, or whether they simply wont bother to let me know if I'm unsuccessful (despite me driving 150 miles to the interview!) :-(