when can u call yourself dr?

P

i passed my phd with corrections to do - can i call myself a dr now or do i have to wait until i have submitted the corrections/ graduated?

T

Its graduation at my University.

B

Most uni's I have experience of operate the following way ...

Once you've done your corrections and they've been signed off by the intern (or intern and extern if it's major corrections) your PhD should then be given the first 'official stamp' at the next scheduled research degrees committee meeting (i.e. the one for your department). Once this is done, you should receive a letter from your uni addressed to 'Dr X' informing you that you have successfully passed and were awarded a PhD ... So that's when you can 'officially' start using the 'Dr' title (but - as coastman stated - this isn't 'totally official' until you graduate and the bit of paper is in your hand).

B

If they are only minor corrections (i.e you have to get them done within 2/3 months) most people would use the title now (the rest is just formality ... but strictly speaking you shouldn't use it yet). However, if your corrections are major I wouldn't use the title until everything has been signed off!

By the way ... well done on getting this far!

P

thanks for your help with this one - it shows the variation within institutions. and nice to have the congratulations - i cant wait to change my credit cards from 'mr' to 'dr'

M

well done ! I havent started my phD yet , but after reading this it is making me nervous. Can I ask what classes as a minor /major corrections. And are the external examiners usually ok !

B

Definitions of what constitutes major/minor corrections vary significantly between different uni's ... ask your research administrator how your uni defines these (the definitions should be outlined in some type of 'PhD Handbook' that your uni produces for research students).

Also, you can't predict how an extern will be in the viva. They may be seem like a nice enough person in the 'real' world, but could be the complete oppositive when examining you (and vice versa). HOWEVER ... if your supervisor says you are ready to submit, you should trust me (a good supervisor won't let you submit unless they are as sure as they can be that you will pass - with minor corrections at the most).