when is a PhD finished? (for an International student in the UK)

A

Hello all!

I have submitted my thesis this morning (wooohoooo) and will have the feared VIVA in some weeks (wish me luck!), but the post is not about this, I have a more "technical" question:

So far, I've been working part-time (20 hrs per week) as my student visa puts this limit. Though, regulations say that I can work full-time once my studies are completed. A person in my university says that my studies are finished when I submitted my Thesis (so, I could work full-time from May), and a second person (in charge of contracts) says that my studies have finished once I have my VIVA, and this is approved by Registry (so, I could work full-time since July). Two months between full/time and part-time job are a considerably amount of money, (almost a ticket back home!!!!). So, I would like to know if anyone has gone trough a similar problem, or if anyone knows about any regulation that I could refer to.

Many thanks!

B

======= Date Modified 27 Apr 2009 18:39:38 =======
I was in the same situation. I worked for the hospital and here is the reply from human resource department

"According to what you explain below I can confirm that X would be entitled to work 20 hours per week during term time and full time during the vacations and 4 months after the course has ended provided that Xi has leave to remain. A letter from the college addressed to hospital is required in order to confirm that X is still studying with them, the course end date and the vacation dates"

In my understanding, if you can manage to have a letter from university saying that you finished the course, you can start working full-time. Otherwise you risk to be in trouble when applying visa later.

A

I would try talking to either the International students officer at your university or Students Union. OR, try the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

What you're asking is a legal issue and although people on here may be able to help you it's more likely you need to talk to someone who can deal with the intricacies of your legal case.

Oo, and CAB don't charge as far as I am aware.

Good luck with the viva.

A