When is too early to start writing?

S

Hey guys a quick bit of advice needed:

I am in the first year of my statistics PhD. I am 10 months in, and have not really got very far with my literature review yet, which is really worrying me. I have another four months until my upgrade.
When is to early to start writing my PhD? I have started the introduction, with a very loose draft of ideas etc- some prose and some still notes. Is this a really silly thing to do?

I had this idea that if I start actually writing my literature review- what I have read etc then it may help me discover what is left to research and the general direction of my PhD. There is a lot of methods background to my PhD and am worried that I will not have fone enough work to pass my upgrade when the time comes. I don't want to start writing stuff up for my supervisors to turn round and say it was a waste of time.

P

i dont think its ever to early to get the basics down, that said i wrote a looong lit review and intros to chapters early on but then it all changed... so it was a waste of time. if your certain that what your writing is what the final project will be on then i would start as early as possible. especially if upgrade is on 4 months as your topic is unlikey to change before then, but beware they may suggest a change of direction!

T

Definately a good idea to write as you go along - when I came to start writing up, I realised I'd already done half of it (albeit half that changed a lot). I think the introduction is best to do last, as you can spin it to support your arguments!

H

Agree with above, it's never to early, the more you get down early on (especially the expt stuff - diagrams etc that take ages to format), less to forget. Even if you change direction and have to re-write your lit review, it's not a bad thing.

S

Thanks for the advice guys. I have definatly decided to start writing up now. My lit review shouldn't change too much as its just a review of methodologies.