When its just not working - step away from the desk?

B

Having one of those days when its just not working! My brain won't engage in anything, so I'm stepping away! Going to go and do some washing, play some loud music and have a large cup of tea. Just wondering what everyone else does when it's just not a research day! 8-)

J

Play on the internet :$ at the moment I have three things I absolutely have to get going on, one has to be done by Monday so that I can finalise some practical work for pupils for Tuesday. I've got a report to write that should be done by Sunday so it can be e-mailed to others and then I've got to get on with a couple of chapters for the week after. (I also had 4 books to review for the school library, but I've done those. I was so glad that I went on a speed reading session, 4 books in two and a bit evenings, not bad going I thought :-)) however at the moment I'm having a bit of a break, I deserve it!!!

B

Came in today after spending the last few days off sick ... not a good idea! Still not 100% and falling asleep at the desk listening to Steve von Till's "A Grave is a Grim Horse" (some upbeat Friday stuff ;-)

Main point is that at times ya have to just say "F**k it!" and walk away ... but to make sure its not every time

Have a good weekend people

K

I think we all get those days! It depends how severe the non-engagement of my brain is! If it's just having a really lazy day or is plain tired I try to do something useful but mindless, like referencing or filing so I can listen to my ipod at the same time. It's boring as hell but at least you get some sort of sense of achievement and don't feel like your day has been completely wasted. If it's just not happening at all I go distract everyone else from their work and then bugger off early and go have a workout or go shopping or whatever...there's nothing worse than hanging around achieving nothing!

J

The allotment would beckon for me, although on a sunny day like today it beckons all the time :)

Seriously, though, if you've not considered it an allotment or vegetable garden in your back yard is an excellent way of getting fresh air and physical exercise and it works well around a phd-lifestyle. However every city in the country has a huge waiting list, so it can be difficult to get one unless you're ingratiate yourself with the allotment association people!