When to apply???

R

Hey guys and girls, I was just wondering what are the dates to apply for a PhD? (in general) and I have heard rumors that there are 2 application dates, one where you can apply with your second year mark and one where you can use your degree after you finished your undergraduate study. And I heard that no matter at which one of these dates you apply you will potentially get a research post for the same year. Is that true?

H

Hi RXS873,

first are you sure you don't need a masters degree to apply (my university required this)? And over the year (Sept-Sept) it took to complete the masters, applications for the UK institutions I applied to started from December up until June time, and I believe most fall within that time period each year, with exceptions of course. It's not really about when "you" apply since your application will be FOR a specific start-date, say Sept 2010, Feb 2011, and so on. You have to state this date on most application forms, and for funding.

P

======= Date Modified 01 Sep 2010 15:36:31 =======
I applied towards the end of my 3rd year. Around April I think it was, for a start the following August. My interviews were in the middle of July so my applications contained my 2nd year, and 'predicted' marks but in the interview I was able to state what I had actually achieved.

There aren't really two set application dates or anything like that though. Just apply whenever, you'll either end up with a long wait or a short one until you start, that's all that really changes. As Helena says you might have a specific start date for official records and what not but whether you really start on that date is a different matter, and it doesn't really relate to when you apply.

Check on the masters too. Some PhD's require them, some don't, and some come with a first year where you'll get a masters or equivalent training (either as part of the 3 years or as an extra year tagged to the start).

EDIT - Just realised I was talking about applying for PhD's on projects that are being advertised, already have funding etc. May well be different if you're applying for a PhD and funding to go along side it. Funding can often come in cycles so there may well be set dates and deadlines for applications there.

R

Yea heard of these PhDs with included masters. In that case would there be a deadline due to the master title included in the study? Oh and is there a deadline for funding as well?

H

======= Date Modified 02 Sep 2010 10:46:18 =======
RXS873, there are deadlines for funding yes. Each institution, department, and research council will have a different deadline and it may well be the case that you apply to some or all of these so you need to know what these deadlines are. They can change year to year so you need to do some research because there are no set answers to your questions.

The websites of the departments and research councils you apply to will usually have application forms to down-load and information regarding online application-deadlines and paper-application deadlines (which are often different too).

You need to know a) which universities you're interested in b) what departments in these universities you will apply to c) if there is a tutor available in that department who is interested in your field and is willing to supervise you and d) what funding the department offers (if any), what the deadlines are for this funding, and if there are any external bodies you could apply to for funding and what THEIR respective deadline(s) are. No one can tell you this information because it changes all the time as departments and councils are awarded different amounts of money to spread about every year.

As Peljam says, this is different for PhDs which are advertised, and come with funding attached. These are very competitive (as most funding is) and you will need a strong research proposal whichever route you try.