Where can you buy pre-fixed blood?

L

I need to know where I can buy some pre-fixed blood.

I have tried buying normal blood and fixing it myself but its a long and complicated protocol and gave me no clear resaults. Do

es anyone know where you can buy it already fixed and ready for use?

J

in which country are you Lorna?

J

What sort of blood?

L

I'm in the UK and don't mind what species the blood comes from. Up to now I've been using rabbit blood...

C

Can human blood come pre-fixed? Out of curiosity - I'm an humanities student, not life sciences....

K

not sure what protocol you are using but fixing blood is easy and not that time consuing. If you think it truly is maybe science is not meant for you.

J

you could try a hospital, haematology might know, or a vets. Otherwise a company like Blades may be able to help, they provide all sorts of stuff, from rats to eyes and everything in between.

L

Okay keehaa, could you give me a reference for a blood fixing protocol? The one I have involves 2 overnight incubations (one in BSA and one in fixative). I also need to prepare large volumes of the stuff. That is all that i meant by it being time consuming. Clearly it would be quicker and easier to order the blood in already fixed. The point of my experiment in not to fix blood but to detect lectin activity....

L

...I have been advised by my supervisor to find pre-fixed blood and noone at my University knows about where to get it. I was simply trying to find a supplier. Please give my positive feedback rather than being sarcastic. I do worry about my PhD and my own ability and how up to date the techniques i use are. I do worry about the advice i recieve from my supervisor. I am in a very small research group without specific expertise in cell biology or immunology. I am doing the best i can with limited help. If you know about this protocol (which I obbviosy don't know about) then please help me?

L

And thank you Joyce, my next job now will be to try Blades

R

Hi Lorna,

maybe you could also try and get in contact with a bloodtranfusion centre. They may be able to provide your with serum/plasma etc. which they may not longer be able to use (for example due to date). They may also have the specific expertise regarding the preparation of the blood samples.

Alternatively the hospital laboratory may have blood products.

Good luck