Where do I go from here - RA/PhD?

F

======= Date Modified 10 21 2010 19:21:41 =======
I'm currently a master's student doing biomedical sciences and I think I'm on course for a good merit. Over the past year, I've realised that I actually really enjoy being in the lab and probably want to do a PhD... but the main problem is I got a 2.2 in my undergrad (Biochemistry). My undergrad was from a good Uni and I'm fairly sure that this mark doesn't reflect my ability, just my pure lazyness at revising for exams ...and this year I've actually been doing work and have consequently been doing well! I had a little talk with my tutor last week about my chances of getting PhDs and he told me realistically, even with a good MSc, it's going to be difficult to get a good one. How true is this? Would I have any chance at all of getting a place at a good Uni like UCL or is this completely out of the question?

Feeling a bit disheartened/at a loss at the moment but I think my current plan is to get a few more years of experience as a research assistant to strengthen my app and make sure that research is really for me and then perhaps apply. But I don't know how to! I've looked around the internet and on a few university websites but to no avail. Where are graduate RA posts advertised?? I'd be pretty willing to go abroad as well ... maybe America or Europe, so that's not an issue. Would also appreciate if anyone's who is/was a RA to give me a few inside tips please!

K

Hey Fargo! I'm in a different field to you (clinical psychology) but thought I would add my two pence worth anyway! People with 2.2s do get on PhDs! I don't know so much about biomedical sciences and how competitive that is, but in some subjects it is possible. I have a pal in health economics who got a 2.2 and a pass at MSc level and walked straight onto a funded PhD no problem. I don't know anyone in my field with less than a 2.1 and an MSc but that doesn't mean that there isn't anyone! I think it would be really helpful if you got an RA post- a lot of people manage to get onto PhDs directly after an RA post at the same university, there are a couple of people on the same team as me who have done that, so I don't think all is lost, especially if you get a good MSc. The other thing to think about is which uni to go to- to choose a uni for a PhD it's best to look for a good department and a good supervisor over how prestigious the uni is! The important things for an academic career will be who you worked with and what publications you got- the uni isn't so much of an issue as it is at undergrad and masters level. I left a top uni with a good psych department to go to an average uni which excels at psych, and have never regretted my decision to leave the 'prestigious' uni because they just didn't have the same facilities or supervisors that I have where I am now. So best to think carefully about where to go and not just shoot for the unis with the big names! As I said, I don't know so much about your subject but I reckon with a good RA post for some experience you would still have a shot! Good luck, KB

F

Thanks KB - all advice is much appreciated! And when I say a "good university", I definitely mean it in the sense of Unis which have the strongest/most reputable depts for the PhDs I'm interested in! Unfortunately I always seem to be much more excited in the PhD programs of the most competitive ones too!

Originally, I was going to start applying for PhDs at the end of this year for 2011 entry, but now I'm not sure whether it's worth me trying at this point or waiting a few years to get the experience under my belt and improve my chances. This may be the wrong attitude but at the moment I'm not really willing to apply to "less-good" departments which I'm not as interested/excited in just for the sake of getting a PhD place...

J

A lot depends on whether you are looking for funding or whether you are able to self fund or have funding from an employer. If you have funding sorted then there will be less concern. If you are looking for funding then it is much much harder and grades in prior study will count to some degree I'm afraid.

S

My advice is to apply for everything, see what responses you get and then decide from there. It's not worth closing off options without seeing what's available. Just giving things a punt and see what turns up. (up)

F

Thanks again people. Yes, I'm looking for PhDs in the biomedical/biochemical field so I would need funding really. I think I might just try to apply for as many as I'm interested in this year and see how far I get with them. I guess I was just a bit scared of rejection and feeling even worse about my future chances.

If anyone has any more advice on RAs though, it would be really useful please! I still think this might be my best option!!

L

It's definitely possible to get a decent PhD place with a 2.2 supplemented with a good Masters in the biochem field. I know a guy who got a 2.2 then went on to do well in his MRes and managed to get a BBSRC CASE studentship with a year abroad in industry... not bad going! It will be competitive but as long as you know your stuff regarding the field you apply for, you should be okay. One thing I've learned is that a lot of the time it's who you know that's just as important as what you know, so let people know you're looking and ask around your department.

D

Hey, I know this is an old thread but in case you haven't found anything yet don't be disheartened. I was in a pretty similar situation to you in that I had a bad time at undergrad and got a 2.2. I got a good merit in an MSc two years later at a top five uni though and then they offered me several PhDs and DTC PHDs and even in subjects I had never looked at before, I'm an engineer and got offered Biology and Chemistry releated PhDs as well. I'm currently near the end of my PhD, but the problem I got and how I stumbled across your post, is that now when I'm applying for graduate jobs, I'm struggling to get past the HR initial screening, the HR staff or the software they use just see the 2.2 and instantly discard. Don't even read the rest!! It's getting to me a bit as an undergrad would be a piece of p**s now and the bachelors is no reflection of your current ability especially when you did it over 5 years ago.